Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Yet another which bike (last for '08?) yes I have searched

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by dangerous_daveo, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Hi all. Well today I passed my Q-ride, happy to say the instructor was quite impressed, especially given my 0-none knowledge of bikes prior to yesterday. Most of the road craft stuff is similar to what you SHOULD be doing in a car (as much as some people may beg to differ), only far more pronounced, so it was fairly easy for me to pick up.

Anyway! Point of the topic. So now I've decided I'd like to get addicted to motorbikes its time to purchase one!

Below is a list of all the bikes I've come across that seem to be ok based on the limited information on 250s about. Basically what I am after is peoples thoughts on these bikes, for a price point of about $4k max ($2.5-3 is really what I'd like to be spending). I've done a search, and found some info, but its 3-4 years old now and was fairly limited. So some up to date info on reliablity, parts, servicing pricing, potential resale etc would be apprecated. Or bikes to just stay away from.

Only going to be riding on weekends, and absoultly no commuting will be done on the bike. Plan would be in 12-18 months (pending riding ability) to upgrade to something bigger and fairly new.

Possible Bikes

Honda
    CB250F Hornet
    VT250 Spada
    VTR250 (yeah I know these don't really fit in the budget, may streach for a really good example)

Kawasaki
    GPX250
    ZZR250
    Balius

Suzuki
    Bandit 250 (GSF)
    Across??

Yamaha
    FZX250 Zeal

So thoughs appreciated. If my searching skills are lacking, links to threads would also be helpful. Thanks all for your help!

2. I had a spada which i think is an excellent bike. Servicing wise it was relativly cheap for me as my dad is a mechanic and never had to send her to a shop.
    On a side note i would suggest getting on at every possible opportunity as having no pre3vious experience and only riding on weekends your learning curve will be somewhat quite extended. Just a thought. Plus once you get on you wont want to get off. (lol). Have you thought about gear? I spent around 1200 on mine and used what wsa left in my budget to get my bike. Good luck and welcome to the wonderful world of the two wheels

:grin: :grin: :grin:

Oh and dont forget security, a chain and decent lock can make a lot of difference.

3. Congrats on passing your Q-Ride! I haven't done my bike license yet and was going to do mine at Pro Honda. Where did you do yours?

I'm a total newbie to riding and bikes, but have done searches, etc on the list of bikes you have there. All that I can say is that make sure there are parts and/or a workshop manual available for a bike you get. Balius for one doesn't have an English workshop manual and is very rare.

4. I'd go a ZZR or GPX.

They have good speed, are comfortable and have been around for pretty much forever, parts are plentiful and they are pretty reliable.

Besides the VTR I think these two kwaka's are your best option.

5. For 2.5-3k you're best off sticking with the cheaper/older model bikes - and finding one in the best condition possible. 4k is about the absolute minimum for a 4-cylinder 250, and even then it's still more than likely you'll need to pay more to bring it up to an acceptable standard (unless you don't care about having brakes and suspension that actually work the way they're supposed to).
    Don't put too much emphasis on odometer readings either. An Aus-delivered GPX with 60,000kms on the clock that's been looked after may well be a much better buy than say a Hornet with suspiciously low kms. Buying something with minor cosmetic damage is also a great way of saving cash without compromising reliability - though be sure to check that there's no mechanical damage.

6. I went with Stay Upright. Been in the business the longest. That and I asked my defensive driving boss who his thoughts were, and he said Stay Upright. So that made the decission fairly easy for me. Was just lucky there were only 3 people in our group. I found them good, but I have nothing to compair it with.

7. All of the bikes you listed are fine. Choose your favorite colour and go for that. :)

8. chose the 1 your most comftable on and go for that, some bikes u sit on will feel like a peewee50 under you and some will feel just right

9. test ride, test ride, test ride........

i went with the VTR and am very happy with it. it costs a little more but you will get a lot more back when its time to jump on something bigger

10. I agree. The ZZR/GPX are widely available and relatively recent models will be within your price range. I'd steer clear of older grey imports such as the bandits or spadas, unless you are willing to budget for parts.
    The VTR250 is probably too expensive and the CB250F is pretty slow.

11. H O R N E T :p

hehe im biased

12. GPX, thinner and lighter then the ZZR.

both have exelent range compared to almost all of the rest of your list.

people boast about 400ks a tank.. i get 325 before reserve but im full stick everywhere i go.

13. I'll also reiterate that the most important thing is to test ride. I'm also looking for a bike as I have also just got my L's recently, and there were a few bikes on my list. However, after test riding some, I realised which bikes suited me better and which I felt more comfortable with. After that I just shortlisted a couple and now I'm just weighing up the pros and cons for them.

14. Well looking at some more reviews etc.

I'll narrow it down to the ZZR GPX and the VTR (even tho its above the budget).

The only reason I think the VTR is if I'm really not going to go backwards on the money I spend on it. As in if I buy one for say $6k today, then 12 months down the track if I can still sell it for $5.5-6k well, I'm not really at a loss (other than a small amount of interest). So would that line thinking be correct? Or am I way off the mark.

Also, when did the VTRs get a tacho?

It won't inflict the riding gear budget, as thats completely seperate money due to it (hopefully) lasting longer than 12 months. So theres no issues there. I've got $2k allowed for that at least.

15. VTR got the tacho in '04'

you would be correct in that line of thinking about them holding their price so if you can afford the VTR go for it :biker: its a fun bike good power down low but anything over 110 and you need a run up to pass..

good to learn on i have had mine for 4 months and i cant wait to get on a bigger bike but i am still learning so the VTR has been good for me

16. Don't discount the Balius...

I got a '97 Australian Balius with about 20k on the clock for a little over $3k. And thats in Perth (Perth premium...)

Inline 4 has some good power (which when I test rode the GPX I felt was lacking... then again, my body shape is more oval than triangle...). Can't speak for servicing as I haven't had to do that yet, but the physical size of the bike makes me feel a lot more comfortable than the narrower, and what I felt was smaller, current models.

Then again, I like naked. :grin:

I would like to stress that I don't mean i like BEING naked, no-one needs that image... :shock:

17. I just sold my Honda CBF 250 to upgrade to a Honda Cb600f hornet. I loved my 250. It's a great entry level bike. It's not challenging to ride which helps boost your confidence and will make the transition to a bigger bike all the more quicker. If I could have afforded both I would have kept it.
    I hadn't intended buying another Honda necessarily but when I test road the 400 and then the 600 I just felt incredibly comfortable on them.

The 250 will adequately take you up the motorway although you do get blown around a bit (only cos it is a smaller bike and the same would apply to any 250 you buy).

It's great in commuter traffic and good through the twisties and while it doesn't that much power at the ready that is probably a good thing for a beginner rider. I certainly noticed the difference on my fuel-injected 600 and as I am still getting used to it the amount of power still catches me out every so oftern.

All that said it depends on what YOU feel comfortable on so make sure you ride as many as you can before you make a decision.