Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Yet another speed limit change through Yarramundi

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Lob0, Jul 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I live in the Blue Mountains and every day ride/drive to work going down Hawksbury road, past the lookout and through Yarramundi.

I have been on this road 5 days a week for over 4 years now and think I have seen 1 accident in that time.

Despite the ONE accident, the speed limit and overtaking zones through there have been slowly changed bit by bit.

What used to be a nice 100km/h road with plenty of overtaking places has become 80km/h with mostly double lines.

Riding home today I entered the one section that is still 100km/h only to see the big electronic billboard announcing a speed change commencing next week.

This will render that entire section of road 80km/h. This is the 4th, possibly 5th change they have made on that road in the last 4 years.

Is there ANYTHING the public can actually do to protest these speed changes? By the time most people know its going to change, it seems it's too late. Once changed the chances of having it raised again are pretty much zero. (Has anyone ever actually seen a roads limit raised ever?)

It annoys the hell out of me. If they want to increase safety on that section, ban the effing trucks they allow up and down those hairpins. DOUBLE TRAILER TRUCKS do NOT belong on roads that they cannot navigate. Seriously if a vehicle cannot get down a road without using up BOTH lanes and causing oncoming traffic to have to stop dead, it does NOT BELONG on said road. I nearly lost the front of my car going up those hairpins one time when a truck coming down the other way required my lane as well. Furthermore he had the audacity to honk at me for being in the way of his bloody truck.

I think I have ranted enough... What was my question? Oh yeah, protesting speed limit changes, can it be done?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.