Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Yet Another Old Guy with a Motorbike

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' at netrider.net.au started by Pirtek888, Jan 31, 2007.

1. Good day to you all. I am a brand new member: this is my first post and I just wanted to say hello to anyone who is vaguely interested. I have had a quick look through the site and I must say that I am impressed. You seem an intelligent and articulate bunch (well, mostly :grin: ).

I am 45yrs of age and have only had my full licence for about 7 months. I have wanted a bike for many years, but a wonderful wife, three kids and a mortgage pushed the bike well down the priority list.

I bit the bullet last year and purchased my first ever road bike: a Yamaha XVS650 Classic Cruiser (2002 model). I am loving the bike despite the fact that I struggle to find time to get out on it. I have ridden about 6,000 klms in the 12 months that I have had the bike. Learning something new every ride and slowly growing in confidence. I am not a lover of speed, so the cruiser suits me just fine. Sit back, relax and enjoy the view without stressing about how long it takes.

If I can find some like-minded Netriders, then I look forward to cruising the highways and byways with some new friends in the not-too-distant future. I will try to participate in the Forum regulary and share what little wisdom I have when I can. And I hope to learn a lot too :)

I look forward to getting to know you all: I just hope you don't like putting too much s**t on us inexperienced old guys :LOL: :LOL:

Edited at 10:55pm to correct "unexperienced" back to "inexperienced" after "moreexperienced" member detected typo error: honest! The "U" and the "I" are next to each other on the keyboard - go on, have a look!

2. welcome from another 'old' novice - got my licence at 44 and bought my bike for my 45th birthday.

i'm sure u'll find plenty of people here who'll take u for rides....

enjoy!

and welcome...... :)

3. Welcome Pirtek!!!

I would be one of those intelligent and articulate gentlemen you speak of in your aforementioned post.

That's "INEXPERIENCED" not "unexperienced" and we never put any S**t on anyone.

Seriously, from one old guy to another, welcome aboard.

4. G'day Mr Pirtek, your not the only old dog around there are a few of us, some late starters like yourself, and few born again bikers like me :LOL: but the excuses are the same, "families and mortgages"

Enjoy it .. I flamin love it ..

Ride safe..

5. 45's NOT OLD!! Especially if you're 43 :p

Welcome to the Forum Pirtek

You're story sounds remarkably similar to someone I know :wink:

6. From another of the 60's set, I would also be one of those intelligent and articulate WOmen :grin:

I have been licenced for quite a few years, it's only now as the kids are getting older that I have the time to spend out on the bike (or they have to come with me :wink:

Enjoy!

7. :WStupid:

Hello Pirtek. :wink:

8. Hi Pirtek. Welcome aboard. There are quite a few Novocastrians in here & we ride together fairly regularly. Check out this link for an upcoming ride. Tim650 and I are both on cruisers (Hyosung & Vulcan 800) and the rest of the gang don't give us too much grief. You'll usually find some of us in at the foreshore on a weekend near the old tug wharves. Drop in and say g'day.

9. Welcome to a Craig Lowdnes fan :LOL:

I was just starting high school at Booragul when you were born, so you're not old at all :wink:

Enjoy the fellowship of the road......

10. Hi Pirtek888, welcome to the forum. :)

11. Speaking as a 46 year old... 45 is ermmm 'not old' :LOL:

Welcome to the forum :)

12. Lookie, lookie......all the oldies coming out of the woodwork! (me too!) Hardly think you can call us oldies....just a bit more experienced than others! :cool:
    Welcome to NR, enjoy, I'm sure this place will have a lasting impression on you :grin:

13. Oooo I love it when someone older than me joins up & starts riding, makes me feel younger :LOL: :wink: :p Welcome aboard :grin:

14. Sorry I forgot what I was going to say, oh yeaah 45 is not old. :grin:

G'day

15. Welcome aboard to the lunacy of NR :rofl:

16. must of been a young lad, lass that picked it up , welcome ,

17. Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to say "hello". You are all most kind and it's great to see that 45 may not be too old in Netrider terms!! It appears that I have been listening to my teenage kids too much (18, 15, 13). They think 45 is positively ancient! :cry:

I am pleased that 45 makes some members here feel young. Glad I could help :LOL: :LOL:

And Hornet600: the mention of Booragul High fills me with unhappy memories. I went to Gateshead High in the 70's and played Tasman Cup Soccer against Booragul. They were one of the gun schools in the comp and they towled us up very well indeed: 11-0 :( I am a fan of the Stone Bros racing team and I have had the "888" numbers on my personal car plates since 1980. I think Craig pinched the idea from me!! But that's OK, I am happy to cheer for a fellow 888 driver anytime. My tin-lid is a BA model XR6 (red, of course).

Thanks for the invite Rourkster: I will definitely catch up one of these days. I work shift work, so weekends off are very rare. When I can make an event (or the foreshore) I will certainly be there!!

Take care everyone: In the words of Old Mr Grace: "You've all done very well". Thanks again.

18. Hello Toecutter: the system will not let me send you a PM until I have at least 15 posts. So yes, I do sound remarkably familiar and I look forward to discussing this with you when we meet for coffee on Saturday morning. :grin: :grin:

19. Welcome Pirtek888

nahhhhhhhhhh over 4o ain't Old

now if we think back to being your childrens age

we used to think our teachers and parents were one foot in the grave

ohhhh how wrong we were

we are just getting better :grin:
    and haveing FUN
    OH and knowing How to :grin:

20. And Hornet600: the mention of Booragul High fills me with unhappy memories. I went to Gateshead High in the 70's and played Tasman Cup Soccer against Booragul. They were one of the gun schools in the comp and they towled us up very well indeed: 11-0

Well, what did you expect, we were always better at everything than Gateshead, plus, of course, my old friend Bill Turner, who started the Tasman Cup, was the Music teacher at Booragul....

{and from '62 to '66 we thrashed all comers in boy's debating too :wink: :LOL:.}