Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

yet another new bike thread - '03 1200s bandit

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by boz, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Hello all. Haven't been around for ages (perhaps 2 years...) but finally came around again a few weeks ago as I was looking for info on a new bike for me. My old one (now sold) was a yamaha yzf750r, and while a great bike (and most definitely a future classic imho) I wanted something a bit newer and a better commuter. My needs:

- decent power:weight
    - decent handling (I don't push a bike to the max, so decent is sufficient)
    - prefer non-full faired (simply because I like servicing, and this just saves a lot of time)
    - about 5 years old, low k's

That last one may be a bit strange to some... However, I like working on the bike myself and if it was a newer bike than that I would feel obligated to get it serviced properly and maintain formal service records (rather than my own little log-book). So there were my requirements. I narrowed the search to the hornet 900 or bandit 1200s.

I test rode both. Liked them both. I actually found the bars on the hornet a bit wide, but perhaps that is just because I felt exposed without any fairing. I didn't notice anything wrong with the bandit except screen vibration between 4-6k revs which doesn't bother me when I wear my earplugs. I read the reviews on both bikes here, and the only con I saw was front end doesn't feel comfortable on the bandit, but i haven't felt that.

In the end though the bandit got me simply because of the part fairing. (Images forthcoming - for now a link http://tinyurl.com/5szgx4 --> works won't let me upload images. "Personal storage websites are not available")

So that is my new bike. I am a very happy rider even though I have only put on 300 km's since I bought it on Saturday. I am looking forward to this bike - I have been reading up on it since then and apparently there is a lot of fun little tweaks / mods that can be done to this bike (all for a reasonable cost).

p.s. hopefully will be around more often too! Look forward to catching up with all those that I know.
  2. what is this crap?

i dont want links :p

congrats on the new bike mate :grin:
  3. Congrats, man - you have, of course, made the only possible correct decision of which bike to get!
  4. Congrats, nice bike mate....I seriously like the Bandit :)
  5. Very nice, enjoy!
  6. great looking bike - and definately the best and fastest colour! :LOL:
  7. I have to agree with you. It is the perfect bike for me... I'm amazed at how quickly I have become comfortable on it.

And easy to keep clean (at least looking clean).