Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Yet another 'my first/new bike' ..

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by sunrise, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Hi there!

I've joined the club... It's a 2007 Hyosung GT250R and me being tall it's quite a nice fit.

After having not ridden since my learner's which was over a month ago, when I went to pick it up I was quite nervous. Did stall it the first two times before I got going ANYWHERE, but was totally fine after that, I suppose better to get the stalls out of the way early rather than when in traffic.

Anyway, spent some time riding it around on backstreets - making turns, stopping/starting to get a bit of a feel for it for 10 or 15 minutes before deciding I felt comfortable enough to join traffic and head home... and off I went, and instantly see other riders riding past and giving a little nod. The biking community seems quite friendly :). Wasn't long before my arms were starting to feel tired/sore - a reminder I'm supposed to be using my legs to hold on, which after correcting was much better. The first time jumping onto a big main road, I realised just how exposed you are to the other cars around you, a bit nerveracking but it was ok, more than anything I was more nervous about stalling it at every intersection I stopped it but I never did :D. A bit of difficiulty getting into first each time (the stupid thing doesn't want to always jump in - seems sometimes pushing the bike forward a lil helps?), but I managed and made it :).

Didn't get to ride it again that weekend as I went away, but did take it out for a local ride last night. Totally different feeling to the first ride. Didn't feel nervous about stalling it, was very comfortable with the throttle and clutch, and it felt much more natural and relaxed - just paid attention to the road ahead and what the cars around me were doing. First few round abouts I went thru 360 degrees made me realise how just important the line you take is, and a larger round about showed me just how much a difference being smooth with the braking and keeping the speed more consistent makes a difference; can feel the bike stick to the road a lot more, and that made me feel a lot more confident too. Also didn't have as many issues getting it into first as I did on the very first ride.

Did make one boo boo though, which probably wanders off into a discussion/debate on riding position. When I done my learners we were taught with the right foot to keep it on the brake pedal too (but obviously not push it down..), however on this bike ends up the pedal is very light or it needs to be put lower as I rode with it like that the first 5 minutes, then at one point I took it off and could feel the bike would take off ever so slightly better. (I suppose good thing I realised sooner than later and was just riding around back streets.. ).

Anyways, really did enjoy the ride and felt like even from that little local ride around, I learnt a lot and am more comfortable again with it, although I'm still definitely a mega n00b but I can see how as it's not particuarly difficult to ride it does seem difficult to master - it's easy to quickly get overconfident and get yourself in trouble. I think next I need to find a car park and try to practice some higher speed cornering and counter steering (Being able to quickly react to traffic doing something stupid around me is high on my list!).

2. Good to hear that you are getting out and practising. Regarding the rear brake, did the people who taught you tell you why you should cover the rear brake?

I'm curious, as that is counter to what I was told. The reason for the advice I received is that while we are learning to ride, many people already know how to drive. If you get into an emergency brake situation, the instrinct is to push down with the foot as you would in a car. This will simply lock the back brake and have you in potential grief. As you found out, you're also dragging the brake whick will lead to increased fuel consumption, premature wear on the pads and disc as well as(importantly) having the brake light on so following cars will not know when you are braking for real.
  3. Yeah, odd thing about always covering the rear brake.

Sore hands/arms will eventually go away as you develop the right muscles - work those abs!

As for trouble getting into first - I leave the bike in first when standing. However give it a good tap, I think they call it 'positive shifting'.

That's my limited experience anyway.
  4. I guess so you could quickly get to it if necessary, unless I misunderstood or something? But I'm sure that's what was said. I can also remember one of the bike types they had, the brake pedal came up ridiculously high and said not on that one though because you'll end up riding the brake. They did obviously emphasise having your hand off the front brake when you're not braking though... and drummed that in .
  5. Think about what your instinctive reactions are though. You will jump on the rear brake if you have an emergency stop, until you train yourself that you're riding a bike and not a car. (sounds silly but it does take a bit of time).

Select first gear before you stop, much easier to do so when moving, and just hold the clutch in while at the intersection. Never sit in neutral at the head of the lights and if you do need to get out of the way of a vehicle that may not have seen you stopped, it is a real life saver.
  6. Now I'm also wanting to secure my new toy.
    Caught between getting an Xena lock and the jaycar alarm.

So far my list of pro's/cons are:
    + no install (just throw it on); can also use it right away
    + wheel can't be moved (much) without getting lock off first
    - alarm can be easily muffled

- need an afternoon+ to pull apart bike (fairings+seat/fuel) and install. won't have time to do this for a few weeks (I'm going away..but it'll be in a locked garage in the mean time)
    + alarm can't be muffled
    - drains battery

Atm leaning more towards the Xena due to my lack of time.

and another q, I take it my helmet should be ok if I put the strap under the pillion seat and lock?
  7. It's a little worrying if they are teaching people to cover their rear brake :-k
    You should be covering your front brake in situations where you may need to stop quickly. Did they teach you to setup and squeeze?
    The rear brake offers very little stopping power, and traction from the rear tyre on most bikes isn't good at all. Most of your stopping power should come from the front brakes.
  8. yup
    I know, that's what I've been using, apart from waiting at the lights.
  9. Coolies. Just wanted to make sure you didn't have the wrong info. It's a mistake I made when I fist started riding and took a while to stop doing it.
  10. Get the Xena and the Jaycar. Also get a big chain with a plastic tube over it and a nice solid lock.

I never leave my lid on the bike, that just save the bike thieves the trouble of bringing their own.
  11. imo this is incorrect for the following reason (actually had it happen to me in a car), i agree pulling up in first is a good idea but once the first car behind you has pulled up i put it into neutral and just keep an idea on the mirror and my foot on the shifter...i actually had a clutch cable in a car let go on me.....scared me shitless as it jumped the car forward not quite into the intersection. Usually if i am the first one to the stop line and i see the car behind still approaching quickly behind me (and i am stopped), i will just flash the brake light a couple of times and keep an eye on them to see if they start to slow down if not you know you may need to be ready to move quickly.

Anyway just another riders view of what i do at lights.

Lastly on the bike i always pull forward enough to see the lights going the other direction, so i know when they have a red, once i see them turn amber, i have a good look left then right (always finish on the right) and you can normally pick the cars that will try and run the lights then back to check that it's gone red and not amber (ie power out) then check mine to make sure they have gone green, then just as i am moving off look right again (super quick glance) as you cross this area of the road first then left (another super quick glance left as i reach that area of the intersection. When you read it you think geez it sounds like i am the last one to move away from the lights, but that is actually rarely the truth, normally i am through the intersection before as the first car is taking off. It all just clicks into place the more you do it and just becomes second nature as to what to look for.

Anyway i have rambled enough, enjoy the 2 wheel world

cheers stewy :)