Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Yet another mid life crisis newbie

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' at netrider.net.au started by Billy Ruffian, Nov 12, 2014.

1. I'm not sure if 51 counts as 'mid life' these days, but here I am.

Riding a Ninja 650 L. Being long term into performance cars, I thought this was going to be just a weekend thing, but the bug has bitten badly and I'm riding everywhere. Apart from wishing I had eyes in the back of my head and that I'd started this about 30 years ago, all is going well.

Have booked in for my MOST session next week, so I'm hoping to get out to Homebush on Saturday to get some advice from anyone kind enough to offer it. Particularly the cone weave, which still looks a little daunting...

See you all around the forums, and the road.

2. Welcome Billy; you've discovered what many of us have known for years which is the joy we all get from riding. And, yes do get to Homebush. It allows you to do your MOST without the surprises.

51 is the beginning of mid life, there are a lot of young riders here in their 50s and a good number in their 60s

3. Welcome aboard, Billy, and good luck for MOST. Just practice, practice, practice. You'll practice on the day, too.

4. Welcome to NR...

5. Welcome to NR!

6. Pffft, 51? You're just a youngster!
    It's never too late to start, you've just got to ride more to make up for lost time...

7. Welcome mate. I was similar to u being into fast cars all my life. Wrxs and nissan gtr s etc. wait till u hit the powerband on a 1000cc sportsbike. I quickly realised that no car compares to the acceleration. Still scares me. Be safe and have fun.

8. Hi and welcome, Billy.

At 51, may I suggest that you have left your fist mid-life crisis a wee bit late.

The idea is to have quite a few......after all, it's a good excuse to do something that you want to do when all around you are telling you how foolish it is.

9. Welcome to the forum mate.

Where in Sydney are you from?

10. Thanks for the kind words everyone. I'm in Petersham.

Basejumper: one of the things that attracted me was being out at Eastern Creek one day when some Superbike teams were tyre testing between our sessions. Watching them lean into turn one without backing off looked like madness, but of the right type.

So, I'm off to Superbike school in the new year. I just didn't expect to have so much fun on the road. Luckily, these days I have no urge to test my racing skills, either 2 wheel or 4, anywhere but on the track.

11. Its not a mid life crisis. More of a mid life wake up. And welcome!