Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Yet another LAMS bike thread

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by b00f, Oct 4, 2014.

1. So after recently getting my L's I have been sitting on a few bikes, and was looking for some additional opinions of a few bikes, and maybe something that I have maybe missed.

I am 178cm and about 75kg. Will be for daily commuting and taking out for a nice ride doing a bit of riding around exploring some of he country side and going for a bit of a cruise with mates.

I like naked, and semi naked, something with a more upright position, with a bit of a street fighter feel/look to it. Not afraid it spend a bit on the bike, as I will likely have it for some time. Not really after a speed demon, but a nice bike to develop my skills, and will encourage me to be a better rider, yet be a little forgiving while I am learning.

So in no real order:

Been looking at these, and from other peoples suggestions, these are a great bike, still yet to take one for a ride.
    Been looking a couple 2nd hand ones. Private and dealer. Prices are fairly similar, and have spoken to the dealer who is happy for include the major service which is coming up in about ~6-7 thou FOC, which is nice, and obviously includes of ORC and is about $1-1.5 more.

• Power
    • Honda build quality
    • Reliable as a Swiss Watch
    • Resale Price
    • Good fun bike that will serve me well for a while
    • Price
    • Service Cost

Sat on one today, surprisingly comfy, was too late to take it for a ride (4pm at the dealer and the poor bugger had all his staff leave at 3pm), plus didn't have my gear on me.

• More Torque
    • Cheaper
    • Street fighter look
    • Riding position (I found it comfy, and could find that threshold of weight easily) both feel flat on the ground
    • New bike, with expensive looking parts (that front headlight looks like it would cost a forrrrtune)
    • Sports
    Ninja 300

Mate has one and says it was best choice for a LAMS supersport, has recently moved up to the 600.
    Not really sure if I like a full fairing bike, being a n00b, I am conscious of dropping any bike, and replacing fairings is gonna suck. Would love to see one "naked".. might tickle me a lil more. Don't want a 250R, think the fun will wear off soon, and I wont end up enjoying it as much as the 300.

• It's a bloody Ninja
    • Pocket Rocket
    • Light
    • It's a ninja - they are everywhere.
    • Insurance
    • Fixing it when I drop it will suck.

I went to PS today, as they were closing (on a saturday) so their Customer service was even more lacking than I have ever experienced in the past when looking at gear there. Saw the new Striple. 2 guys walked in while I was there, Said they wanted to buy 2, and dropped 2 buddles of $50 notes on the table, put their helmets on, and rode out. Sounded amazing, look the part.

WAAAAAAAAYYYY out of my budget, someone tell me why I shouldn't just buy a CB125E, ride that into the ground while saving for a new triple.

Anyway, I am sure there is something that I have missed, but these are the 3 bikes I have sat on, still yet to take them for a ride, probably find some time in the next couple of weeks (I am in no rush, I want to make the best decision.

2. MT-07
    Getting good reviews, no first hand experience though. I've got 2 guys coming to my Snowy ride who just bought them brand new a few weeks back.
  3. Looked at the at PS but the looks I was getting made me walk out. Didn't feel very welcome walking in at 4:50pm and got nothing but death stares. I know its almost knock off time.

I like the MT-07 looks.. Might go hunt for a couple reviews.

Thing is I find reviews good but hard when the reviewer isn't comparing to another bike.
  4. If you ever decide you need to ride freeways or try an overtake on road posted at 80kph you'll have a bad time.
  5. MT-07 can sound amazing
  6. As good as he CB400 VTEC?

I am secretly a honda hater, when it comes to cars. But after hearing it scream to 12,000rpm it takes me back to watching my mates k24 get tuned.. built a tent in my jocks. Gives me a smile every time I hear it.
    I just think the CB400 is far superior when it comes to technology. Its been around forever. Tried and tested platform, and from what I have gauged from others an amazing bike to continue even once off restrictions.

I'm just making sure I keep all my options open, and I get a chance to put my leg over as much as I possibly can before purchasing.

I was joking abou the CB125, I was trying to outline the fact I would need something to get my by, while saving for the Striple
  7. ok, so a bit of a disclaimer at the start..
    I'm an old fart who has come back to bikes after 20 years, now having my mid-life crisis - and loving it...

I've lusted after Ducati for as long as I can remember. You may disagree, but to me they are the Ferrari of the motorbike world (religious war to follow). I couldn't believe my luck when they announced and released the AU 659 LAMS approved Monster. Someone up there likes me (or wants me dead on the side of the road).

The bike is sex on wheels. from the big Brembo brakes, the naked trellis frame, hot yellow mono shock and fat luxurious rear wheel. The tank to tail styling is like a curvaceous Italian woman in a pair of high heels. She turns heads wherever we go, much respect on the road.

In terms of a learners bike experience, the 659 delivers enough power to haul my fat carcass (185cm, 95kgs) off the line before most drivers have thought about an accelerator. The handlebars are wide enough and high enough to be comfortable and balanced, while still allowing for decent filtering gaps in peak traffic.

Now let's talk price. You can pick up a good second hand model with ABS for a little over $10k. And the servicing is @ 12klms and will set you back about $1200 at the dealer, minor services are $350 and a rear tyre about $250 - $300.

But there are other options, and if you ride a bike, chances are you'll start to develop a bike mentality. That means you won;t treat your bike like most people treat their car - just get in and go. You'll begin to learn that the chain needs lube every couple hundred klms, and the oil and filters are things you can do yourself with a bit of time and experience. Yes, running off to the dealer or mechanic everytime the bike has a little cough is going to cost you. So be prepared to put some love back into it to get the most out of it <here endeth the lecture>.

I bought a Ducati not just because it's a sexy bike. But because I knew I'd have it for a while, rather than just get some me-too bike to run into the ground before I went 'up' (1200S here I come). If you can make the numbers work for you, I highly recommend this awesome piece of machinery - I get to work and they can't wipe the smile off my face.
  8. MT-07 does look good though...
    74 bhp, modern muscle styling, Yamaha practicality, and 180 wide rear.
    A ride test will surely put the question of whether its any good to bed.
    Looks decent for $9k new.

9. Sounds pretty good to me lol
  10. Im roughly your size/weight, I got a ninja 300 as my first bike and I can confidently say it was a great choice. Someone can correct me if this is bad advice but if you scratch up/ break bits off your fairings its not the end of the world. A few scratches here or there adds character and you can always replace the fairing bits that are damaged prior to resale. Don't let fairings put you off.
  11. Cant fault my Cb400. For a Learners bike, its awesome. 2 great big fat disk brakes up front, the vtec sounds horn once on song with a pipe, mines got a stock pipe, so if you really want the sound, you will need an aftermarket pipe, stock just wont do it for you. Revs its tits off, and still lugs around in the low rev range easily. I almost never even ride mine above vtec, but i'm old. Big difference though between a i4 cb400, and the twin cb500f. Ride em both, I preferred the revvy nature of the i4. (FWIW, my car is a diesel, and to me , the cb500 reminded of it :]
  12. I shall be doing all minor services. I drive a turbo import which I have done all the work on myself. Getting my hands dirty isn't an issue. Something that excites me in fact. Major services eg cb400 @24k would be done by dealer but anything else I have the confidence to do myself.

Getting a Monster would be sick but I think the initial cost + insurance will break me.

Thanks for the comparison Gooza. The 500 felt so nice to sit on and has amaaaazing styling. Love the look of it. Better go take both for a ride. The guy at the shop kept waiving the keys to both the 400 and 500 at me.. Wishing I didn't leave my lid at home. Your diesel analogy is a good one. I'm assuming the MT-07 would be more similar to the 500.
  13. I've got the CB500F. Bought it May last year. It's been a great commuter, adequate torque, good on fuel (4l/100km for me). As for the price of the bits - NFI, I haven't (yet) had to replace any. :) You should be able to pick one up new for under $8k. There should be a few making their way onto the second hand market by now with those having bought them when I did or a little later having come off restrictions.
  14. Just did some quote for insurance. Only done with RACV (as I am an employee and get a sweet deal.

Some quick Comp Market value estimates.

2014 Yamaha MT-07 - ~$480
    2014 Kawa Minga 300 ~ $405
    2010 CB400 ~ Under $300
    CB500F - ~$405
    Striple 660 ~$893

Interesting... but not surprising.
  15. Even with your employee discount that's more than I pay now. I found RACV one of the most expensive for me and my bike. Out of interest try QBE.
  16. How about the Suzuki GS500F or naked? They are pretty good LAMS bikes. Easy to ride, bulletproof motor, plenty of power, good on fuel (approx 400km to a tank), reasonably comfy, easy to service yourself and are priced quite well. The seating position would be comparable to the CB400. You could easily pick one up second hand for under $4000. It would be more than enough bike for your restriction period.

Another option is the Suzuki 650 Gladius LAMS. Not sure on the pricing for 'new' but 2nd hand one's go for around 5-6k.
  17. I am not really like the look of the GS, but was something I thought about looking at.
    The 650 Gladius is priced about the same, but the lines are not really as aggressive as the MT-07 or the Cb500F... might go have a sit on them and take one for a spin.

That is with 1 incident in 5 years, and Rating 1. 26 years old. Should be a bit cheaper once my incident drops off (its 4 years, 11 months old)
    it is also based on location, but you from Nazzawazza too :p HOWDY! Once I get my bike we can go eat donuts and stuff :)
    But yes, I will try QBE. Do QBE base the rating on Total driver exp. or only rider exp?
    As for Car insurance I would be rating 1, and bike, well that would be rating 6, but we base it on when you first starting generating experience. (whether it was bike or car)
  18. #18 POMMEYBIKER, Oct 6, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
    i got a cb400 and you can find my review of it on my youtube - Ill post the link here without trying to plug it shamlessly, and if the mods dont like it they are free to remove it:

that being said, the insurance grouping of it is also one of the perks for a learner rider. Its cheaper because its a 400cc, but in the real world, its just as fast as the 650's that are restricted to LAMS specification. The ABS version of the CB400 may even be a tad cheaper on insurance

the fact you have a free major service is a very nice thing indeed, you did well!!!

The other bikes you have chosen are also pretty sweet. The ninja is good for the bucks, but when it comes to resale it will be listed with the other 9999999999 out there and they are already cheap enough out the shop doors brand new. The ninja is also high on insurance because the typical target market is a hoonigan.

Suggestions of the Suzukis are good also and you should follow them up. Either way if you stick with the Japs youll be fine. I do love the sound of an inline 4. 2 cylinders just doesn't do it for me.

What ever bikes make it to your shortlist, make sure you sit on it, the cb400 might dish out some knee pain over long periods to taller riders
  19. Pommey, that was amazing, and only solidifies my confidence int he CB400.

When you talk about riding position, we are similar heights, are you considering yourself as a "taller rider"? Do you get this knee pain you talk about?

I know what you mean about the inline 4. Sounds amaaaazing. its no CBR250RR @ 20K RPM ^_^ , but the VTEC scream makes up for it :p

I plan on taking a couple out for a ride in the next couple weeks. As previously stated, I don't want to rush into it, as much as I want to be on a bike right now
  20. #20 POMMEYBIKER, Oct 6, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
    well i sometimes get the knee pain, but it might be related to some old activities i used to do, so i might have knackered them out a bit prior to getting the cb400. I am as stiff as a plank. If your knees are a bit dodgey cus your getting on in the age department; or did them up bad in sport, its possible that the cb400 might not agree. The 650's are larger and have better ergos. If your a fine young lad, youll be right at home on it.

At the end of the day, the foot peg positioning wont be far off a ninja 300/ninja250/cbr125/cbr250/cbr300/yzr15 from the waist down, so if you sat on one of them already, you have a good idea