Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

yes or no, 1996 gixxer 750

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by ckr83, May 17, 2006.

1. well guys i said no to the 88 gsxr750 i said about. but now looking at the motorcycle trader and found a 1996 gsxr750 for $6700 at northstar yamaha. dont really have all that cash but thinking bout taking the 6 hour trip from rockhampton to brisbane to have a look and bring one back with me.
    what do you all think bout that model. it got 47500km on it, yosi pipe,

cheers clint

if anybody knows some good bikes down there for $6ish let me know
  2. The price is pretty average, especially since you have to travel to get it, its not a bad price but you could do better.
    My mate had/has one, I got to ride it, was great fun, very fast and liked to mono. Felt fat between the legs, but I'm sure it could be thrown around easily enough.
  3. My understanding is that the 1996 GSXR 750, marked a return to the original formula of low weight and high power of the first GSXR's.

from all accounts they are good bikes, but check carefully, it has probably been thrashed!
  4. cheers guys, will take that into account. have a thorough going over.
  5. I bought my 96 gixxer almost new (5 months old) and its still a fantastic bike. Look out for it being thrashed though, As a lot of riders soon found about its awesome power and handling, although I've had to replace all the springs/shocks/ brake lines. (aswell as internal and carby/ airbox mods- but only chasing more ponies) Also look for head bearing abuse due to wheelstanding. The gearboxes in all the Gixxers are still bulletproof and smooth as. I would recommend this bike to anyone who is after a true superbike thats on a budget. It may be a 10y.o. bike but they still stand up to todays bikes ( the overpowered ones that riders can't handle!)

Mine is now a track bike and laps just as quick as my mates on there R1's gixxer 1000's etc.. (around the 1:55's)