Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Yes, it's a rider down thread

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Fixed, Jul 28, 2005.

1. This morning, 5:30. If anyone knows the rider please let me know.

I turned onto Blackburn road just after another bike went past; it's weird because I've never seen bikes at that time on that stretch of road. Rode beside him for a bit and then got in front to move to the right-hand lane so I could turn onto the freeway. Looked in my mirrors and saw that his headlights were off (late 90's ninja, lights should always be on). Pointed to his headlights and as he rode past he yelled that he knew and that they had just gone.

Looked down, looked back up and his bike was laying in the middle of Blackburn road, car had pulled out of a side street and he'd gone into the side of it. Didn't believe what I was seeing.

Rode up, put the hazard lights on and stopped the bike in the middle lane, got off and told the car behind me to stop. The guy who had pulled out was on the phone to the ambulance, the rider was still lying on the road on his side. Checked that he was breathing and conscious, a truck driver stopped and helped me get his bike onto the footpath, and a couple of other trucks blocked the road so we could get one lane clear and get traffic moving again.

Waited with him, kept talking to him and the car driver while we waited for the ambulance. The guy was in shock, said that initially he felt bubbles in his throat but they'd stopped now. I think he must have punctured a lung, as far as I can tell his chest took most of the impact. He didn't move the whole time.

It took 5 minutes for an ambulance and police to arrive and shortly afterwards a MICA unit turned up as well. I gave a brief statement to the police, my details to the car driver/police and the rider was bundled up into an ambulance.

Got back on the bike once the police said they didn't need me anymore and went to work. The car driver was very shaken; has called me today looking for reassurance it wasn't his fault.

And it wasn’t really. The bike didn't have headlights but was ridden anyway, plus he’d recently split with his missus and was probably had other things on his mind. Nobody deserves to have an accident, especially one that involves hitting a car at roughly 80ks, but it might have been avoided. 5:30 in the morning a guy pulls out of a residential street, probably still a bit sleepy and would have done a quick check of the road, but with no lights to indicate anything was coming he wouldn’t have seen the bike.

The point of the post is this. Bikes are bloody dangerous at the best of times, and when you don’t maintain them you multiply the risk massively. I’ve seen a few posts by younger guys who can’t really afford to keep their bikes maintained and it worries me, something like this drives home the point.

It's been on my mind all day, it'll be on the car drivers and riders minds for a lot longer. And it needn't have happened.
  2. That's so sad. And I agree that he shouldn't have been riding without lights but his lights could've blown just before. Still he shouldn't have been going so fast. If my lights are blown at night, I'd just use the highbeams and failing that it's the pavement at slow crawling speeds or a quick phone call to friends to pick me and bike up.
  3. Yeeesh!

Hope the guy comes through OK!

Hope you are feeling OK after that as well. Can be easy to ignore the shock at first but sometimes it creeps up on you later.

My headlights blew one night while I was on a country road. Thankfully I had a couple of other riders with me to a) light up the road and b) ride point so that we were all visible (thanks Jarrah and Clueless) until I could get another headlight globe.
  4. You knew about dangers and the rest of it before, now it just got to you sort of too close, and it's flickering in front of your eyes! Right?
  5. No, it's not that. I've come off, but only hit the ground thankfully. It's more that I'm concerned for the rider and driver.

I suppose I just needed to get it off my chest, and it's a kinda yuck reminder that you really need to look after your machine.
  6. hope hes not too badly hurt.
    and dont worry about it fixed you couldnt have helped, untilmately it was his fault.

now jusut wait for those rider down nazis. you know you want to boys.
  7. I don't understand the "sort of not" in the thread title. Sounds very "down" to me.

I'm not trying to be smart, but from your description of events is it possible the rider took his attention off the road to respond to your gesture about his lights, then looked back in front of him only to find a car in his path? It kind of reads like that...
  8. 'Struth Gromit! :evil:
  9. I didn't cause the accident and me pointing out his lights were out didn't put him in danger, but maybe afterwards his attention wasn't on the road...

That's not a happy thought.

But my concern for another rider with his lights off didn't cause the car driver to pull out and not see him. And when from where I pointed the accident was still a good 100-150 meters away. So ... yeah.

But it's still not a happy thought.
  10. Don't dwell on it Fixed.

You did the right thing. Gutsy move to stay with him and keep talking to him while the ambos arrived.

There's a lot of talk about skills, riding technique and safety equipment on this forum. These are important factors to be sure. But you also need a bit of mental toughness to be a longer term rider and survivor too.

Keep the shiny side up eh? that goes for your bike and your mind.

11. I'm with v_quixotic..
    what the hell kind of comment is that? :evil:
  12. My raising it had more to do with the impression given by your account of the crash than any sort of suggestion that it was your fault, believe me.

That's the problem with communicating via a forum - it's a pretty narrow bandwidth way to have a discussion, if you know what I mean.
  13. However, it does illustrate the way that we have been conditioned. The car driver, when his heart rate returns to normal and he starts thinking about it will say to himself, "It was his fault because he didn't have his lights on."

Whereas, the onus is really on HIM to not pull out and cause the accident in the first place.

Now, before everyone jumps on me I know that, at 5:30 in the morning it IS still dark and the guy's light SHOULD have been on, so he contrubuted to the accident by his own lack of care.

However, it was widely tipped when the "compulsorty lights on" campaign started that car drivers and "road safety" experts would use it as means of blaming US for accidents that were really caused by others because we didn't have our lights on.

Let me ask you. Is the SMIDSY defence a legitimate defence? Or are we continually having the responsibility for accidents forced upon us by those who have a not-so hidden agenda?

Sorry that that happened to you, fixed. Hope you settle down and start feeling better soon too.
  14. hmm RC36 I think it is law to have your headlights on between dawn and dusk... so if 530am is still considered before dawn at this time of the year then it would be his fault legally.

the compusory lights thing is for daylight hours

and gromit... all is forgiven :D
  15. And I think it's a fair call too. The reason I wrote about it in the first place and put it in this forum is because I wanted to draw attention to how important it is to keep your bike in good working order.
  16. come on people dont debate the ducks arse out of everything and take out of it what is important.

1. make sure before you ride off your lights are working esp nighttime.

2. if they blow , try high beam , if that doesnt work stop until day light (if its morning) and have mc donalds for breakfeast or cafe etc , then in daylight then ride on to work .
    better getting there late than never.

3. fixed should be congradulated for telling him , as plenty of other arseholes out there wouldnt.

4. carry spare fuses under your seat , and if room a bulb .

5. stop at nearest servo get a bulb .
  17. Having your lights off in the dark should be a reason to blame the rider. It is illegal and dangerous. It's one thing to blame drivers for not looking hard enough but in this case I see no error on his part. You can't blame a driver because he didn't take night vision goggles for the trip. The lights on at dark is a necessary safety measure, not an attack on motorcyclists because everyone has to do it. Had the rider done the same thing in a car he would probably still had the stack.
  18. Laying blame isn't helping anyone.

Just learn a lesson from what's happened, be thankful you weren't the driver or rider, and move on.

Fixed, good on you for all that you did to help.
  19. Good on you Fixed for stopping and assisting. Far too many people these days wont stop for fear of being sued (believe me, in the CFA we see far too many accidents where people have just left the scene)

To everyone else, a good reminder to keep up the maintenance on the bike, but also to stop and help someone else in need.

Hope the rider and car driver are also ok.