Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Yes!, back on a big bike ( VFR 800 )

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by stoo, Feb 18, 2007.

1. I've mainly ridden postie bikes for the last 11 years, but I had an NX650 Dominator for a couple of years which was good fun.
    A couple of days ago I went to the local motorbike shop to enquire about thrid party property insurance for my latest postie bike, and came back with a VFR800!! S/H 2004 model, 10,000km.
    Today I rode it from Ballarat to Echuca and back, I couldn't be happier with it!
    It's good to be back

2. Welcome Stoo, the VFR is a great all round road bike, cya on the road Bro.
  3. And THAT is why I avoid bike shops!

Regards, Andrew.
  4. Top intro :cool:

Enjoy the VFR and welcome to the Forum
  5. Thanks chaps!
    I've always liked VFRs, I have a few questions already if anyone can help ( or tell me to ask in another section :oops: )

- Can anyone reccomend a good rack to chuck on the back, or panniers? It has high Staintune cans, hopefully they don't interfere with mounting a rack?

- Chain tension!, it seems bloody tight to me but the dealer insists that's correct for a roadie bike ( tight, no slack at all and noisy )

- Tyre pressures, perhaps this is a silly question, but how do I know what pressures to keep in front and rear?

6. Welcome to the forum. The VFRs are a great bike.
  7. Ventura rack and bag.

Sit on the bike does it become loose? Should be ok if it does. But if it doesn't you're probably right. Too tight.

Tyre Pressures are in the handbook, have no idea. You maybe able to download a manual vis this link https://netrider.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7655
  8. Thanks, I'll look up Ventura, and it didn't come with any books.
    Or a spare key!, $300 they say
  9. It says I can't post a pic until I've made five posts, this is the fifth.
  10. [​IMG]

'looks like any other red 2004 VFR I suppose.
  11. oh but its not anyother red vfr800 its your vfr800 treat her kind and welcome to the forums
  12. Welcome Stoo...Those VFR's are certainly a sexy looking bike :cool:
  13. Stoo, I've got a 99 VFR but in general the chain should NOT be tight, the chain tension info is on the swing arm or chain guard, all the tools required are in the tool kit under the seat

Ventura rack and bags :woot:

I have a scanned copy of the workshop manual on CD for the 99 model if you'd like a copy.

I'll check tyre pressures tonight but after friging around a bit i THINK i run 38 front and rear, but i'll confirm that.
  14. Nice pics of a great bike - welcome! :)
  15. Another happy VFR owner!! Welcome Stoo!
  16. So Stoo are you transferring the plates over :LOL: :LOL:

Seen your bike before on a postie forum.
  17. Nope, I'm keeping the postie, we have a high country postie ride in three weeks too :wink:
    I just ordered a new custom plate for the VFR, and I'm trying to arrange insurance now.
  18. Thanks Woodsy, the tyre and chain info was on the chain guard.

36 Front, 42 rear, higher than I expected.
  19. Welcome stoo - nice bike
  20. The Ventura rack will bolt on where the handles are.

Nice pics by the way.

Honda also sell a top box and panniers for these bikes, don't know how much $$ though.