Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Year of riding ended in a bang, scrape, and splosh into mud

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by LostWallet, May 12, 2014.

1. After a year of riding I can finally count myself a part of the ever growing group of riders who have thought the tarmac a great place to plant their ass, and the mud off the side of the road a great place to park the bike. I crashed the CBR250rr, UncleGreg was right.

The story begins sometime a bit more than a year ago, it was coming up to Easter and I would be going camping with some family friends who just so happened to own 3 dirtbikes. I previous years I had been offered the opportunity to ride these bikes, but had always turned it down, mainly due to fear. Bikes were big loud scary things you could fall off or ride into a tree; despite my valiant attempts, I have only done the former. This year was different, this year I wouldn't let that fear hold me back.
    The day went fine, and the one after than. Sure i fell off the bike once or twice, sure i downshifted as i hit the rev limiter, and sure, i did park the front tire a bee's dick away from a tree with both brakes locked up. I had my first experience on a bike and i loved it.

A couple of weeks after that my brother, blueyy, turned to me and said, in a fairly direct manner, "you need to go get your motorbike license". So I did, I traveled up to somerton HART for a full day learner course. The day I picked was the best day of the year for a learner like myself; wet, windy, and cold. at the end of the day I walked out with all my written tests done and a big fat fail on my practical exam. Naturally I scheduled for the next day.
    The weather had eased up a bit over the 24 hour period, there might have even been some sunlight on the second day. I was offered the chance to ride a scooter for the testing period, I was unsure at first, but after it was explained that the licenses were the same, I opted for the scooter. Here infront of all of netrider i will admit, I passed my test on a pretty pink scooter and on the 3rd try. I have yet to mention this fact to blueyy.

Following what seems to be a patern, The first day on public roads was a rainy windy day. At the time I wouldnt have cared if there was a thunderstorm to follow. I was riding that bike, and no shitty weather was going to hold me back. Of course the first time on the bike was also the first time I hit the horn when aiming for the indicator, in full view of all the people at a bus stop no less. Boy did I feel like an idiot. With that quick day of riding I now felt I had to make as many excuses to get on the bike as much as possible.

Fast forward a month or so, me and the bike take our first ride out together to a sunday learner ride starting in diamond creek. On that day I learned two important facts about riding. One: if I keep trying to catch the guy ahead of me when he is out of my league I was going to kill myself. Two: WEAR YOUR fcukING EAR PLUGS. God damn that was painful. All the way up to Yea at 100kph and 11,000 RPM was deafening. by the time we got to the end of whangagarwen (wankerwanker) road my head was trying to split in two. And I only had another Two hours of riding to get back home.

Coming up to this sunday my frame of mind was something along the lines of 'yeah, im probably mature enough to handle a big bike. maybe an R6 would be nice'. Maybe I was wrong. Time to re-evaluate.
    At this point I would like to point out that for the last month or two the back tire of the CBR has been slowly dropping pressure, where it would normally sit around 36psi it was actually hovering around 24. Of course I didn't care enough to check why, I had handled the slippery rear tire well enough. So on this sunday, where the roads were wet, but not wet to the point I couldn't handle it, I decided that corner marking almost every corner between rowville and gembrook would be a fun game. I crashed with everyone behind me, everyone got to see me off the road.

The crash was fairly mild, the last 30kph marked corner coming into gembrook claimed me and the bike. In a rush to get to the front of the pack I forgot to back off from the ride leader. The more astute readers might be thinking 'you are right behind the ride leader, that is the front of the pack', correct, it is. In my best imitation of motogp I ended up riding just a metre behind UncleGreg at the apex of the corner. What caused me to crash is a mystery, a recipe with the secret ingredient missing. Three parts my stupidity, one part poor road conditions, and a dash of no grip. I was on my ass as fast as I could think 'God dammit, I have crashed', I lowsided the bike across the road and half into the mud on the other side. one missing mirror, one missing indicator, and five times more dirt than i started with. Success, I had finally scraped my pegs in a corner. While I did actually think 'God dammit, I have crashed' that was only half of my thought, the rest of it was 'Now I have to say greg was right, now I have made an arse of myself'. What was greg right about? well sometime half a year ago I was being a smart arse, not unusual. After a claim that 'Everyone crashes' I immediately chimed in that 'I am not going to crash for the next 15 years to prove you wrong'. Lesson learned.

for the record, I am perfectly fine. A gentle lowside at low speeds, I stopped before I could hit anything, I was out of the road as soon as I stopped. The gear did its job, thought the RST logo on my boots has seen better days. And all i remember of the actual crash was the incredible amount of lean which the CBR was demonstrating.

Was it worth it? Yes, the laughs I got to share once we were parked up in gembrook, the reality check, the experience, I would sacrifice $30 for a wing mirror and 30 minutes to fix the bike for those any day, any day but next sunday when the bike will need to look nice for some photos. Maybe this has saved me from making a worse mistake on a 600, if that is the case, then it is definitely well worth it. I got lucky, I had the most mild crash possible, on a corner which everyone was slowing down into anyway.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Good yarn :LOL:

3. Good to see that you can have a laugh about it , but more importantly , good to see that you've learnt something from it. Glad that you're ok !

• Like Like x 1
  4. #4 oz-riley, May 12, 2014
    Last edited: May 12, 2014
    Glad you're OK. (y)

5. Glad you're ok, but you need to analyse what happened beyond you're stupidity and bad road conditions". What did you actually do wrong?

• Like Like x 1
  6. I entered a corner too fast and too close to the vehicle in front of me, i didnt take enough care of the bike, and i put myself into a bad position to deal with that
    i was right next to the white line, which when wet as it was is dangerous to ride over, so i didnt want to go wide to avoid greg. i couldnt go tighter because it was wet and i had low tire pressure which would have led to a lowside. i think i rolled off the throttle or touched a brake mid corner.

my fualt.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. So after hearing about me binning it on Thursday you thought you'd join the club.

8. it sounded good from where i was

9. Over confident? "Chasing" someone you shouldn't have been?

Yep, done that, cost me (well the insurance company) $7000, 3 months without the bike and a week off work.

You knew you had low tyre pressure?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Look after your bike and it will look after you.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Great write up @LostWallet@LostWallet . Welcome to the "been down" club :) Throughout the morning you had been going (in my opinion) wayyy too quick for the conditions. The fact that road was wet in patches tends to slow me down more than a fully wet road. Add in a tyre with a slow puncture, I would have been paranoid of sliding off in every corner. Glad that your alright and the bike is too.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Glad to hear you are OK.

Mistakes are there to be learned from. So make sure you turn it into a positive.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Takes courage to admit when your wrong,takes brains to know it(y)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Glad you're ok & the bike not to bad

15. Well done. Nice yarn. Glad you and the bike are close enough to OK.

Checking the tyre pressures is something that you should get into a habit of doing regularly. If you ride everyday then you'll feel something amiss fairly quickly, but you should still check them every time you fill the tank. If you only ride weekends or occasionally then you should test the pressures every time you get on it.

16. so he was told that very morning before the start, but later we found a slow leek in his rear

17. it took me way to long to realize i had been nailed in the rear

18. I thought you had maybe been distracted by Uncle Greg's leather clad cheeks?

19. better a slow leek then a fast carrot in the rear

• Like Like x 1
  20. I thought for a bit I was going to be nailed in the rear

• Funny Funny x 2