Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Yay for me

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by NJS, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Did my Q-ride yesterday, drz-400sm lot's of fun, passed with ease. The bloke was fantastic and confidence inspiring. The ride was a great blast through the cane and northern suburbs of Mackay.
    So 2 things.
    1st I am an idiot. I am 32 this year. That's 14 years I could have been riding but haven't. Dickhead!
    2nd need a bike. Talking to a bloke around the corner, who, it turns out, has about a dozen old Ducati's in various states of dis/repair in his shed. Anyway, asked if he knew anyone who had a cheap bike to sell. The reply was that he had one I could have. Not a Ducati. An 83 xt250t. Currently not working, but the 50 dollar part I am picking up tomorrow, coupled with the maintenance book, which will hopefully turn up next week, mean I have a very cheap bike.
    By the way, does the bike satisfy those here that insist that you must have a shitter for your first bike?

2. :LOL: :LOL:
    Ya reckon you're an idiot ?
    46 when i got my licence .. thats 28 years I've wasted
  3. got mine at 19. idiot for not getting them at 18 :S
  4. lol - 36yrs old and I got my licence yesterday too.

This morning I plucked up the courage to ride my ZZR to work instead of the bus and WOW - awesome.... I arrived with a smile on my face!

How could I have been a stressed out bus-schmuck for so long? :eek:
  5. I live by the phrase,
    "It's compulsory to grow old, but optional to grow up!"

I got my L's at 2 months ago at 32yrs old.

Have fun and be safe!
  6. Congrats to both of you; and to answer the original question, yes, I think a 25-year-old road/trail bike is a great starting point :LOL:.
  7. Congrats :cool:
    Nah more likely 14 years of accidents; you should only have one or two now. :cry:
    Nah mate, only if you get one of the Dukes.:wink:
  8. Indeed. Am hoping I have a couple more brains now than back then. Am sure there wold have been at least one big stack if I started younger.

As to the Dukes, I think this man is going be shouted a lot of beer and then we will wait and see. I would be happy just to give him a hand and go for a ride.
  9. As stated above, you're no fool for getting your bike license later in life.

I'm 33 and had my L's for 3 months, bike for 2 months. I don't have a car license.

Welcome to the life of two wheels :wink:
  10. I got mine when I was 57, so that's about 40 years wasted!! :cry: But I'm trying to make up for it by having ridden 12,000 kms since I got my Ls last August. :)
  11. Looks like I'm the smartest one here then. 17 and going for my p's this week :grin:
    Congrats to everyone :)
  12. I got my license in 1974 and sold a bike in 1985, and didn't ride again till 2005; how dumb am I???
  13. How could You? YOU KNEW!!

At least I had only done some paddock bashing.

Sorry, but total loss of respect.