Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Yammy XVS1100 year models.

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by Big W, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Looking at purchasing an XVS1100 (Derr...!) and I'm just wondering if people prefer any particular year model over another???

Do they tend to differ much in handling, engine, transmission, ride etc..

Thoughts??

2. From my knowledge they haven't changed since introduction. Engine is the old xv1100.

The engine has been around for so long even Hardley has had two major engine redesigns since it's introduction.

3. Thats good to know. I'm just hoping they haven't gone too 'plasicky' like cars do.

I don't want to go & buy, say, a 2007 model & have someone say "Oh you shouldda bought the 2006 coz..."

I haven't heard/seen any bad reviews, but just wanna know if Yammy's had an 'off' year I need to avoid!!

4. On the contrary. Modern Jap cruisers have gone the other way. Big chunky bits of steel is what the Americans want and the Japanese have responded.

Personally think they have glanced off the point, but the XVS1100 is probably the closest Jap cruiser to getting it right IMO.

5. I ride an XV1100 (95) and the engine goes like a dream, never misses a beat. I know they use the same engine in the XVS, its a tried and proven system, I dont think you can go wrong with one.

6. A mate of mine had a 2006 model XVS1100 for 4 years (recently traded it in), I rode it a fair bit while he had it.

IMHO it's about the closest that Japan gets to a classic style cruiser, air cooling, back to basics styling, nothing that isn't needed and everything that is.

You could do a LOT worse (like a VT750 for example!).

7. Thanks people. Sounds like it'd be hard to go wrong with these bikes.

8. I had a 2006 xvs1100. Its such a simple design. Terrific cruiser.Reliable. What more could you want, another hundred horses, brembos and modern suspension. Oh wait, thats the duke I sold to get the yammy