Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Yammy ttr250

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by jeffatav, Mar 22, 2007.

1. I have just bought a 2000 Yamaha ttr250 with a little over 2Ks on the clock and you can see it has just been sitting around.

It goes like the clappers and I thought it would top out at 80K/Hr but kept pushing on! I had to stop as I was doing 90 in a 50 zone on the test ride and clod would not approve, but it had heaps to go!

I would appreciate if anyone has any experience or sevice details etc if they could post them up, such as oil change intervals, modifications for improved perfomance/reliability etc etc.

I have bought this bike for the purpose of commuting on "iffy" days weather wise and negotiated a set of new combination tyres in the deal. I will still cruiser it to work on fine days as that bike is sleepy comfortable!!

It is such a change from the cruiser for this shorta@#se, but it only takes a few hundred metres to get into the trail groove! A bit of fun when stopping and putting the foot down :LOL: It feels as though I am riding through the tree tops after the cruiser and I suppose when I ride that it will feel as though I am dragging my bum on the road :LOL: :LOL:

Thanks in advance

2. I had a 2002 model, and still have the manual some where, i think the 2000 was still electric start only so notsure if the manual is any use.

only bad thing i heard about the electric start only models was they had oil pick up issues if you did long monos.
  3. Congrats

Here's some homework for you.... http://www.ttr250.com/

Enjoy and post up some pics for us to see.
  4. I had one of the the first Rs (maybe a '94) and loved it - a truly great trail bike. From memory, mine would happily do about 125km/h even with shortened final gearing.
  5. Hmmm, I use to ride it around on the back wheel for long distances without any problem...that I noticed anyway. :)
  6. Thanks toecutter,

I see thats only light reading heh!! :LOL: :LOL:

It took me five minutes just keeping the page down button held down to get to the bottom of the page. :LOL: :LOL:

Nah seriously thanx for that link!

Will post pics of the blue plastic machine later!

7. very close Jared, but its a ttr not a tfr, but still very close!
  8. Thats a dash, not an F :p
  9. do an oil change every 3k, with a filter every second - can't go to far wrong. valve clearances every 10-12k or so. get a hold of a shop manual and it should give you an idea, even if it's for a different year. Other than that it's pretty basic - not too complicated to service at all.

A little hint for starting it - pump the throttle twice before hitting the starter - should start a bit easier.

10. :facepalm:
  11. Hey guys,

Is WR400 2 or 4 stroke? I struggled to find info.. cheers
  12. 4 stroke matty like the TTR. The TTR series is air cooled though, where the WR series are water cooled.
  13. Ok cheers mate! :D

Any advantage of either? Sorry about the off topicness here.
  14. WR is a tamed down road reg version of the YZ.

Think bay be like this

Honda Yamaha Suzuki
    XR TTR DRZ....S
    not strictly correct but near enough for an example
  15. I thoroughly recommend joining the email group as well.

Plenty of seriously good folks there to help out with specific ttr-250 questions at the drop of a hat with no attitude or big ego's flying around. Except mine, but I keep my fingers to myself

16. done that with the same name as here and there is some helpful people there.

I didn't realise how popular these bikes are in England.