Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Yamaha's answer to the HD 883?

Discussion in 'Cruisers' at netrider.net.au started by philmydang, Apr 19, 2013.

1.  Top
    • Like Like x 1
  2. I'm not a particular fan of 'cruisers' but this one I like the look of, and it's got mid mount pegs.

• Like Like x 1
  3. She's purrdy! :)
    Would've given her a test ride if I were still in the market for a new bike.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Looks cheap, not liking

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. I was just thinking about this and quite frankly while it looks cheap you can bet it'll be a damn site better built, have more power and be more reliable than a Harley.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. If they sell it here and don't slap it with a ridiculous price tag I think it would be a winner. Similar price (or less) than the v-star 950 would do it for me.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Hmm I dunno. If that's the style you're into the 883 looks better imo. You'd constatnly be answering the question "no it's a yamaha" when someone rocks up and says Wow I like that bike is that a Harley? Oh ok.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. I like. Looks nice.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. I already have that issue with my current bike. I don't understand what the fuss is though - to the non-rider every cruiser is a harely. Chances are when someone is admiring any other type of motorcycle they wouldn't have a clue as to what it would be. Harleys are instantly recognisable for various reasons and good on em for it - hardly a reason not to buy a bike though.

Every time you see a harely you should say 'wow! is that a yamaha?' that'll sure get some panties twisted.

• Like Like x 5
  10. Reminds me of the original XV750 of 30+ years ago before it grew all the tacky bling shit that seems to be obligatory on cruisers these days.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. I asked Yamaha about this only a couple of weeks ago, as I was interested in it to replace my current bike. It is not planned at this stage to introduce into Australia. They made a vague reference to it not meeting Australian Design Standards but would not give me any more information other than to suggest I contact Customs myself.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. better build than harley? you serious, plastic chrome vs real chrome, plastic vs metal

• Like Like x 1
  13. Bummer, I was really looking forward to this. I wonder how/where exactly it doesn't comply as is the case with a few of their models.

14. don't know, haven't had a chance to look into it further and probably not much point unless I can actually test ride one. I believe its available in canada as well so might wait and see if anything else comes of it and if not, skiing trip might be a good idea for xmas:D

• Like Like x 1
  15. I didn't say better material, I said better build. It's not likely to fall apart quite so quickly as a Harley

16. And how many Harley's have fallen apart on you?

As for the Yammy it looks ok but it's a bit like wearing a knock off Rolex... it's all good until someone calls you on it :oops:

Don't get me wrong, I loves me some sporty bikes but the Japanese just don't do cruisers very well most of the time, power cruisers like the M109 and the V-Max are notable exceptions.

17. I personally know of 3 locally that have, plus a VRod Muscle that has done 8000km and is getting it's 3rd engine rebuild.

My wife used to sell the things. For the money you pay the quality is crap.

• Like Like x 1
  18. 3 locally that have.....what?

I'd buy this Yamaha over a Harley in a heartbeat
    It'll be cheaper and looks better and will more than likely ride better

• Like Like x 1
  19. tell him to stop doing rolling burnouts on the V Rod :D

20. Have fallen apart, or at least had bits fall off them.

Agreed. I never used to understand the fascination/attraction of HD,s. Then after my wife worked for the local deal I understand it even less.

I've never understood why you'd pay $20,000+ for a bike, then spend another $5000 (or more) either turning in to something else or making it perform as it should. Ok, the bonus' my wife got from parts and accessories sales helped her buy her Ducati, but geez.

I suppose I just don't get it and probably never will.

• Agree Agree x 1