Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Yamaha Zeal - starting problems

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Tim90, Dec 1, 2014.

1. Hi everyone,

This is my first post and I will say straight away that I'm very new to bikes, but I'm eager to learn so go easy on me.
    I bought a Yamaha Zeal about 3 weeks ago. I tried to start it today and it wouldn't completely fire up after I had it on "run" and then "Start". The headlights still come on but the "TEMP" light was also on. I thought that maybe I needed to charge the battery and I know where it is (theoretically) but I can't get to it. I assume that removing the seat is the way to go? If anyone can help that would be greatly appreciated. As I said, I am very new to all this.

2. Welcome Tim, Don't know the Zeal specifically but most bikes you need to remove the seat to get to the battery. To remove the seat there is a lock on the side of the bike which doubles as a helmet lock. Use your key to unlock it. Sometimes pushing down on the rear of the seat helps it unlock it the key seems tight.
  3. Get yourself a manual mate, you're going to need it.
    You could try this link, https://www.box.com/s/rhsb2lq07ukh9e8gnijw not sure if there is one on there. If not do an online search or post a request in the appropriate forum there are a few Zeal owners on here.
  4. welcome :]
  5. welcome mate. head over to www.2fiftycc.com they have manuals you can get for a $5 donation to the site. go in and say hi
  6. Bikes can sometimes have a bit of a nack to starting them, if it's new to you it'll take you a while to figure out how it starts best. You probably just flooded it by trying to start it too many times and maybe drained the battery too. If you don't want to take the battery out you could try a push start. With the ignition on, put the bike in second gear, pull the clutch lever in and run with it, once you hit your top speed release the clutch lever and keep pushing, the engine should try to start, if it does start be ready to pull the clutch lever back in so the bike doesn't drive off by itself!