Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Yamaha zeal fzx 250 no start

Discussion in 'Naked' at netrider.net.au started by Shmuli raskin, Dec 22, 2015.

1. Yamaha zeal fzx 250 1998 with 48000 kms.

I just flushed out my radiator with tap water with a hose garden for pressure.
    My bike was working fine before I touched it.
    After the flush I greased the chain.
    After that I tried to turn it on and the engine won't start.
    I get rumblings, low rumblings.
    I drained the battery trying to turn it on.
    I charged the bike that night. Next day I tried again, and a no start like before just the engine rumbling trying to start.

The fuel filter had brown liquid in it...I don't know if it was there before hand, I think it was, So I emptied that and cleaned it with fresh fuel from tank. This is where I'm holding now. Although I put everything back.
    Components are all working fine I think eg fuel pump, battery.

More info : After I flushed the radiator, I did spray (lightly /showered) that area with water to wash off the excess fluid.

I'm not sure where to go next.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Have you pulled your plugs out to check no water has entered into your cylinder chambers? Not sure how much pressure your garden hose has but it may have forced water through your head gasket if it was a bit dodge. Check your oil for any signs of water too. Leaving overnight should have dried most electrical issues out.

3. Thanks for the info.

I took out the spark plugs and they are giving spark.

I really hope water didn't go through the head gasket.. Very possible as the head gasket may be cracked a little.

And I've ruled out electrical issue.. I just don't think it's an electrical issue.

Is opening the head gasket something I leave for the pros or can I do that myself?

4. I dont want to open the carburetor as I'm likely to screw that up - too complicated..
    I'm guessing I need the right torque to close the engine so opening it at home is not the best idea, correct?

• Like Like x 1
  5. There is a drain on the bottom of the Carb bowls, they are easy to open and you should drain them until fuel is coming out. My guess is there is water in the float bowls.

6. Oh wow if it is only that easy.

It's dark now. I'll have a go tomorrow at that. Fingers crossed it's only that. Thanks C

7. I have to give credit when and where credit is due to CJVFR, you legend.

My bike is now running fine. I do believe alittle crap came out of float bowl 4 but not %100 percent positive.

You legend

Now for some odd reason the radiator fan is Continuing to blow after I hit 'engine stop' or cut off, with the ignition still on. Is that hinting that something is really wrong.. I did muck around with the fuses but I don't think that would be an issue.

8. All fixed now. The engine was not idling because I twisted the idling knob/screw to the left. Which means no idle, so the bike will never idle and therefore stay off as the lowest revs.

Twisted it to the right and it puts me back to square one, a working bike that idles - to my digression.

All done here.

Thanks for the support

9. Good to hear you are mobile again. The fans will continue to run if the engine is hot and the ignition is on, that is normal.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Aha, good to know. Thank you so much!