Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Yamaha Zeal '99 Temp light on..

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by mpgraphics, Oct 20, 2011.

1. I am new with bike as I am on L's.

I rode my Zeal for about 15mins and temp light came up and I could feel hot engine on my left leg. Si I checked the fan but it doesn't go on then I checked the fuse and its fine. Suggests?

:)

2. Apply power to the fan and see if it spins up.

Also get it warm and see if the themo switch closes using a meter.

Potential suspects at this time:
    - Fan (electrical)
    - Thermo switch (electrical)
    - Thermostat (plumbing)

The reason I include thermostat is because if it doesn't open, water will not circulate through the radiator. The thermo switch that controls the fan usually senses radiator water temperature, not engine block water temperature.

So if no water through radiator, then the fan will not activate unless the heat manages to soak the radiator via radiation.

The first two electrical tests are the easiest to carry out so that's why I put them first.

Testing the thermostat is easy (drop it in some hot water and see if the valve moves) but requires draining the water from the engine which is a bit of stuffing around.