Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Yamaha YZF-R125

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by [FLUX], Oct 28, 2007.

1. Apparently its lighter and faster than the cbr125r.

But thats what yamaha media would say even it wasn't.
  2. I wonder if Yamaha will bring it to Australia? Usually I'd say, 'no way' but since Honda brought in their CBR125 Yamaha might feel the need to compete in this segment of the market as well.

Quite possibly their decision will depend on how well CBR125 is selling here, which makes me wonder - just how well *does* it sell so far? Judging by the number of posts here on netrider, it would seem there's quite a bit of potential interest in this class, but I wonder how well that interest translates into actual sales.
  3. The CBR125s well down on the sales list as far as the <260cc class goes - but it does outsell Yamaha's Scorpio which is the same price (though probably a far better learner bike). The YZF125 might have better performance than the CBR but being made in Europe means it'd also most likely cost a lot more - and that'd bring it close to things like the 250 Hyosung or new Kawasaki.
  4. I think the most important thing will be the price difference between the CBR125R and this new Yamaha
  5. Yamaha might just decide it's not worth their time and effort. They don't even bring in the MT-03... and a 125cc class does seem a bit pointless in our conditions when we aren't restricted by the European licencing (which is the whole reason why these bikes exist in the first place).

I mean, I'm hardly someone with 'bigger is better' mentality, yet even I don't see much point in going under 250cc. Sure, I appreciate the need for a light and small bike for shorties and learners, but I don't see why that couldn't be a 250.
  6. dont bother,

i havent got my L yet due to some circumstances.... been on the road for little riding and 1 hr riding everyweekend with my overseas license....

my bike is vtr 250 btw.... and guess what?? i am bored with the bike......

bought the bike 2 wks ago, havent even transferred it under my name due to some circumstances as well, hopefully this week. and i am bored.

go figure.
  7. If you're bored with a VTR in that amount of time, without even really riding it, then you're bored with riding as a whole and probably should think about giving it away. Don't mean to be harsh, but a VTR is an excellent bike, and it'll take you a good 6 months or so of solid riding to be capable of safely pushing it anywhere near its limits.
  8. +1 to what bravus said.

Bored already? Is it the power? :S Most accel than most cars. Have you taken it to some local twisty backroads? Obviously not. I'd normally say you've bought the wrong bike, go get a race replica or something, but if you've been riding for 2 weeks and think you've outgrown it then you're just a fool, but I'm sure I just misinterpreted... :cool:
  9. i did take it to some twisty road , really nice and makes me think to get a faster 250cc.... hehehe i am not saying i know the bike 100% in and out. and know how to push it to its limit yet.

bored with riding? nope... getting more excited? yessssss. in a wrong way? probably is. thats why i am sticking to the vtr. dun want to kill myself just yet. haha. i even still remembered my first road experience..... my first "hit by bird's shit" straight to my face when i opened my visor (stupid i know). getting pissed at cagers for thinking hes the only on the road.

my apology to the seniors, i think you get me in a wrong way. but main point is do not get 125cc. there are so many forgiving 250cc available. but if you only go for looks, then good luck ;).
  10. This debate seems to rage ever eternal! :roll:

No one on a public road can use a bike (or car for that matter) to its full potential. Even on a track this is not always possible.
    The argument that you don't need a biker bike until you can push a 250 to its limits is BS.

Riding a bike to its limits is actually dangerous, as you have given up any contingancy you may have had in performance and power and leeway. Also the speed at which you are travelling (assuming public roads) would put you in danger of you life and others on the road. Not to mention get you locked up!!

Having a more powerful bike allows you to command power and torque through a much more broader curve and response time.

In traffic a 250 or heaven forbbid a 125, will see you will no torque at the best of times, let alone at 100 kph up hill etc.

Riding to the limits of a 250 is fine, but it suits a specific kind of environment and style of riding (inner urban or city).

Sweepers and touring are much better suited to bikes that use maybe only 20% of thier power at a time, but have wallop in reserve for those manouvers we all need to make from time to time.

And no, a lot of cars will beat a 250 off the lights if they try, and believe me and plenty of others, there are freaks out there that just wanna see you come off.

Let us only speak if we have ridden all these before! :roll:
  11. My point was simply that someone who finds a VTR250 boring after a couple of weeks is arguably not really ready yet for something bigger. I take your point about riding a bike to its limits, but are you going to seriously tell me that someone is ready for an R6 (for example) with only a couple of weeks riding under their belt?
  12. you obviously didnt read my reply did you? or just couldnt be bothered?

and i didnt even say anything about jumping to 600 or 400 even.
  13. cintamami - yep, read your reply and understood it: and yeah, apologies that we've taken your simple comment and run off with it in a whole other direction. but my reply was to pro-pilot rather than to you, and he was the one suggesting the idea of bigger, more powerful bikes. your point about not getting a 125 was well made, even if the way you chose to put it across was a little confusing.
  14. I reckon anyone who's bored with a 250 should try playing around with things like suspension settings (or if fixed different grades of fork oil), tyre pressures, etc. or make simple mods like better brake pads/braided lines, better tyres etc. If you can't notice/appreciate the difference then you clearly haven't been riding it long enough and spending relatively small amounts to keep your current bike interesting is far better than ditching it for something "more interesting".
    Of course that said I still reckon a 125 is useless for anything but commuting around 60kph urban streets.
  15. Getting back to the point......I'll put money on the fact that Yamaha won't bring this here, and justifyably so. Really, who'd bother ? My guess would be, it'd be priced near (or more) than most 250's and what would you have. ? Cagiva have this tiny slice of the market covered IMHO.

(Besides, Yamaha missed the boat BIG TIME with the non importation of the MT-03. I would have ordered one without even riding it....great reviews overseas, even if it is a bit on the weighty side)
  16. Okay, so would y'all go for it, if it were a 250cc parallel twin, with a 270 degree crankshaft throw ala the TRX850, (i.e.sounding like a V-twin)? A bit like a sexed up Yamaha R1 looking version of a GPX250 with a modern engine with a bit more poke (say 33kW/45hp)?
  17. I reckon a 500cc LAMs legal Inline-4 would have more potential here - only competition would be the GS500F and GT650RL.
  18. UK Pricing for the YZF125 is around £4k (acc to Yam dealers) vs the CBR125 at £2.2k, altho rumourmill is dropping it in at around £2.4k when it actually comes to market.

S'heavier than the CBR125 for the same power output... am hoping that's in the frame not the engine, as we intend to use the YZF125 engine for 2009 race season if it's more tuneable than the Honda. Rumour has it the YZF will be around the same size as yer average NSR125, so it's physically bigger than the CBR125

The CBR125's benefit is that the bottom end is identical to that of the CBR150RR, which means you can whip the barrel, piston, cdi, and DOHC head off the 150 to upgrade yer SOHC 125... and gain a few bhp in the process... no such luck with the YZF - it'll be a case of wait for Thailand and Indonesia to churn out some cheap bigbore kits for it or go at it yerself...
  19. Please stop bringing up the MT-03.

It's gotta be one of the few new production bikes I'd like to own.