Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Yamaha XS650 Chopper.

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' at netrider.net.au started by 2up, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Actually, it's a real chopper.
    The old XS650's were renown for their reliability but I doubt I'd be getting in for a flight... :grin: :grin:

650helicopter1.

650helicopter2.

650helicopter3.

650helicopter4.

2. Does that engine really make enough power to lift a helicopter? I know nothing about any of the technical aspects of choppers but i would have thought you'd need a bit more grunt then that.. Learn something new every day i guess...

3. Bloody hell, you'd have to be game to fly that thing!

4. some more from the site I found it on..

Listed on ebay in the USA this XS650 powered helicopter.

Vehicle Description
    Adams-Wilson "Choppy" single seat helicopter. Powered by an Yamaha 650CC Parallel twin motor that runs very well. Comes with a complete set of original plans, and original receipts. Main rotor blades and tail rotor blades are in good shape. Cosmetically, the paint is in good shape and there are only minor blemishes. The aircraft is complete and only needs to be gone over and fine tuned to include main rotor tracking and adjusting the tail rotor pitch. The helicopter has been ground run, but not flown by the current owner. NOTE: This is a real helicopter! If you are not trained, DO NOT try and fly this thing because you have the potential to kill yourself or others. If you go to vortech.com you will see that the basic kit for this helicopter is over $23,000. Call Mike @ (406) 453-8451

http://www.xs650.org.au/offbeat.html

5. If you hunt around the web for long enough, you can find the plans for this, or something very like it. I think I've got 'em somewhere. The one I've got drawings for was designed around a Triumph twin (so you'd have to be really brave to fly it).

The trouble with stuff like this is that, to get enough power, the engine's got to be running all out all the time. No road engine will stand that for any length of time. Couple that with the fact that a free air cooled bike engine will overheat almost instantly the way that one's set up, and I'd conclude that there are cheaper and easier means to commit suicide.

6. /\ So true

7. Too right...I had an 1966 Triumph Trophy back in 1974....that thing would stop all the time for no apparent reason. Maybe a Triumph engine in a small plane with very big wings that can glide !!! but a helecopter..erm NO

8. do not know much about the engine in question, but if I could have a guess about the overheating... it does have the mother of all Fan cooling systems over it, and if the engine develops enough torque and it is geared correctly it would not need to run "Flat out".

Due to the fact it would be fairly light weight I would also presume that the "Auto rotation" effect would work quite well if the engine cut out(Assuming there is a clutch on this thing), and the pilot knows how.

I'd give it a whirl, but I wouldn't expect it to break any records, nor be a favourite commuter.

Now more importantly, I wonder how it filters through traffic....

9. #9 nightgash, Feb 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    This one looks good.

[media=youtube]nFa1PNr2dLA[/media]

Mosquito XE

Length: Frame 16 ft., Overall 20 ft. Width: 72 in., Height: 84 in.

Rotor Diameter: Main 19.5 ft., Tail 40 in.

Empty Weight XE: 298 lb

Empty Weight XEL: 312 lb

Gross Weight: 610 lbs

Useful (Pilot) Load: 240 lbs.

Fuel Capacity XE: 12 US gallons

Engine: Compact Radial Engines MZ202, 2 cylinder, 2 stroke, rated 64 HP (45kW)

Electrical System: 12 volt DC battery, starter, 180 watt alternator

Rotor Speeds: Main 540 rpm, Tail 2500 rpm

Fuel burn: 4.5 gph

Range: XE: 150 miles

Hover in ground effect: 8,000 ft. (estimated)

Hover out of ground effect: 6,500 ft. (estimated)

Max Speed: 80 MPH

XE: $29,000 including engine/instruments

10. Yeah, but the fan is blowing air perpendicular to the fin direction. Effectively, that engine will see almost no cooling.

As far as power is concerned, Google "Revolution Mini 500 Helicopter" and you will find an immense archive of material that indicates that, yes, helicopters do need a lot of power to fly and which illustrates the dangers that occur when even a purpose built (or, at least, factory adapted) aero engine is asked to constantly run close to, or at, its rated maximum in order to do so. Not that that was the Mini 500's only problem :shock: .

11. I see the kick starter is still attached. I hope that the electric starter also works - don't fancy kickstarting mid-air!

12. I rode a 1968 650 Bonnie for 17 years, It also would cut out and refuse to go, it also lifted the crowns of the pistons every 10,000 miles or so,
    thats why I did not buy a new Triumph, I bought a 1100XX Honda instead.
    Brian.

13. I'd be more worried about standing up too quick after kicking it!

I'd give it a fly.

14. do you think so? The Rotax (and others) engines they put in light aircraft don't make a lot of power. They are very lowly tuned.

so yeah you'd have to work the XS harder than a Rotax and it's life would be shorter, but I don't think you'd be in grenade territory.

15. Trawling through the voluminous amateur built aircraft material on the web, I've noticed that the Rotax 2-strokes seem to seize with worrying regularity, even in fixed wing aircraft (although some of this may be down to the fact that the majority of amateur aircraft builders and flyers appear to know nothing about engines and their care and feeding).

Rotorcraft seem to need a lot more horsepower than fixed wing designs, although I'll admit to not being able to provide a detailed description of why as I'm not hugely interested in them, keen as i am to reach pensionable age.

From what I've gleaned, though, taking the Mini 500 stuff I referenced above as an example, even that relatively small single seater required the maximum rated output of its Rotax 2-stroke, watercooled triple (about 80 hp if memory serves) in order to fly safely. When asked to give its maximum rated output for any length of time, the engine would fail in short order.

Bike engines have flown safely and successfully. But not this one (IMHO).