Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Yamaha XS400 80' special carb question

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by alladnek2, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Hi,

Sorry if this is a stupid question but Im trying to replace my carbs (old ones are rusted & completely shot) on my Yamaha XS400 80' special & I am trying to find out what size & type of new carbs I can replace them with. I know they are a mikuni brand, but I am just trying to find out what I should be looking for as Im looking to replace the whole thing rather than try & fiddle with them with a carb rebuild kit (they are really badly rusted).

2. Probably easier to just fit a spare from a wrecker?
  3. aftermarket carbs cost a bucket and are usually designed for racing.

Rebiuld or one from a wreckers (and likely a rebuild of those anyway).

What rust are you talking about? external? If so that has little effect on the operation of the carbies.

Kits can be gotten cheaper on the net than through the dealer. shop around

4. Where's the rust? The only steel I'd expect would be linkages, screws and maybe the diaphragm cover, none of which should be more than cosmetic.

Bung a kit in and see where you are then. As ibast says, aftermarket carbs ain't cheap. Combine that with the stuffing around you'll have to do to make a non-OEM fitment actually work, and you're looking at a lot of effort and wedge for a bike that, worthy though the XS400 is, is no exotic.

For myself, if I did have to replace the carbs, first port of call would be Fleabay to see if I could get a low mileage set from the US.

Failing that, I'd think about either a single SU ('cos I cut my mechanicing teeth on the things and understand them) or a pair of Amals, which are still relatively (but not very) cheap and not too hard to match to most engines. Either would require a significant amount of engineering and fabrication.