Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Yamaha WR250F/450F

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by cala90, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Hey guys,

New to the forum so I apologise if this is in the wrong section.

Anyway, I'm going for my L's next week and will be looking at getting one of the above bikes shortly after. I've been told by some mates that these can be registered for road use. My question is, what do these bikes need to be registered for on road use in Victoria? Different tyres etc? I've tried to do some research but can't seem to find an answer.

2. Yes they do mate. Technically they need to have dot rated Tyres to be legal for road use. My pink slip guy has never checked my ktm Tyres though ? Are u going to be doing alot of dirt riding ? Or just road riding ?
  3. Thanks for the reply mate. I plan to do a fair bit of dirt riding. Just wanted something that I could also zip around town with..

4. From what I 've seen there are two versions of the WR's, one is available with full ADR compliance and is suitable for full registration. The other is basically on motorcross bike. You can fit a recreational rego hit with lights, blinkers, horn, mirrors and brakelights, but the recreational rego is restricted ot off road use only. I'd suggest you look carefully and get the fully compliant version if you want to ride it around town.
  5. Thanks for the detailed response Senetor. I'll definitely make sure I find one with ADR compliance. Speaking to vicroads today they tell me you basically need the same requirements as rec reg with road tyres and roadworthy so it doesn't seem all that hard. Would be good if I could keep offroad tyres on it at all times!
  6. U can run full off road Tyres on it all the time, they just need to be dot rated for road use. Have a look at dunlop d606 , they are full knobbies and dot rated. Good Tyres
  7. Thanks mate that's awesome! That makes a big difference in the decision!