Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Yamaha VStar 650 Classic

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by afc9798, Nov 9, 2004.

1. Just thought you may be interested in some quick pointers if considering buying a cruiser. I did a heap of reading and research before settling on the Yamaha, which included reading every review available via the web and from magazines. I also asked a couple of people who i saw with the bike, to tell me the best and worst features of it. What it all came down to for me was 1. I couldn't find anyone prepared to say anything that was a major negative about the bike, as opposed to the comments I received about other brands and the info. in reviews.

2. I fell in love with the bike from the moment I saw it in Red/Silver combination.

3. It felt perfect in weight and position from the moment I first sat on it.

I guess what I am saying is, make sure you do your homework thoroughly.Talk to those who own the bike already if possible and don't buy anything that doesn't feel immediately right.

For the record, the VStar looks like an 1100, but does perform like a 650, so it has its' limitations, but I love its' predictability, stability and the fact that it loves to corner. The brakes are good without being harsh, but you do need to play withthem for a while before testing them too hard. The clutch engages very late which can be a little off putting until you are used to it, so don't ever forget this when you're looking for a quick exit. Shaft drive is flawless and has an extremely smooth passage of power to the back wheel. Best of all it sounds and looks great and always attracts attention (being a Leo, we are renowned famewhores!!). 8)