Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Yamaha Virago XV250 engine noise

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by goodcruzn V4, Aug 17, 2006.

1. Hi all.

This is my first request for help and I have been lurking around reading some of the forums and I am sure there is someone out there who can help.

I am hoping you may be able to shed some light on a noise I am getting. There is a metallic clanging sound coming from the engine when I decellerate and often when idlng at the lights. The noise sometimes goes away but usually comes back shorlty afterwards. It is a very annoying (and embarrassing) noise that I would like to get rid of.

I bought the bike 2 months ago from Peter Stevens in Elizabeth St with 3 months warranty.

I called up their Dandenong service centre and booked it in for a look over. They had it all day and when I went to pick it up they said it was the valve timing chain and the auto tensioner had not taken up the slack. They said they had retensioned the timing chain and that it would whir a bit until the chain had stretched a bit. When the engine is cold it certainly whirs but as it warms up the clanging noise comes back again.

My concern is that they tried a bandaid fix and there is a real problem. I have heard stories about PS but if there is a real problem I need to get it fixed while I still have some warranty left.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. Has it got sufficient oil in it? Sorry I can't be more help - my mechanical knowledge (or lack thereof) doesn't extend past this.

(and welcome to NR!)
  3. Thanks for the reply Voyager.

Yes, it has enough oil. That was the first thing I checked. It doesn't make the noise until it warms up but it does make the whirring noise of the cam chain going over the tensioner but that goes away after it warms up.

Perhaps it is just the chain rattling and the tensioner not doing a very good job of keeping it tensioned.

4. I would say that you definately have a siezed cam chain tensioner there cruzn

How many ks has it done ??? Is it an everyday bike ??? the reason i ask is that the tensioners seem to stuff up quickly on bikes where they havent been ridden that frequently and then put into daily use. The oil residues can cause the inital stick and then they seize it depends on the method they use to prevent the pin pushing back in

if your a bit handy with the spanners the best bet is always to change it over to a manual adjust then its one of the maintanace jobs you do monthly etc

I would say they have tried a quick rub with wet and dry on the mech rather than replaced the parts mate

Good luck
  5. + 1 for the mechanical tensioner.
  6. The bike is a 2004 model and has done 26000 kms. I tend to ride it to work 2-3 times a week clocking up nearly 80kms round trip.

The mechanical tensioner sounds like it might be it as it sounds tight and whirrs loudly when cold but clanks when hot. The noise started a few weeks after I bought it. I didn't think much of it but it has become annoying now.
  7. Yep, sounds like my old XV250... And yes, I believe it was the auto mechanical tensioner too.

If it helps, I have a mostly complete top end for an XV250 sitting in my garage (I think all that's missing are a couple of bolts), including the tensioners. I bought it when I had my XV250 for spares if I ever needed them, but have since sold the XV250. I'm told the top end has low k's, I don't know how to tell...
  8. my virago, 06' model does exactly the same thing. told the mechanic at it's 6000km service and he said the same thing about the auto cam chain tensioner. It is the normal thing to happen (apparently) and nothing to wory about.What happens is the tensioner is on a ratchet type setup and as it takes up the slack it can be half way over to the next notch causing the rubbing. as he said you have noted it and if it turns out to be something else then it's a warrantee matter. He went over it with a fine tooth comb and gave it a full service.
    Yes I agree the noise can be annoying but nothing can be done about it so just enjoy the cruising!! leat we dont have to worry about a loose cam chain causing serious damage.
  9. Thanks everyone for your help. I appreciate it.

If it is normal and may come and go as the tensioner takes up I will have to live with it.

Cheers all and ride safe.

10. yeah it is the norm, I can understand your worry though. at first it sounds like metal or something flying around your motor. that was my first thought. mechanic told me oil was clean though, he knew straight away what it was but did the service early and did other tests to make sure.
  11. Yeah he could just pop over from Melb to pick it up!
  12. hehe, well I got mine posted from Melbourne... :p
  13. thought that would have been too expenive! Don't Aust Post cherge like wounded bulls?
  14. It actually wasn't too bad I think. I can't remember, it was awhile back. I don't remember thinking it was extravagant though.
  15. Just to let everyone know that without doing anything further the clanging noise has stopped and the sweet v-twin sound is the only noise I now have.

Thanks again for all the help and suggestions.