Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Yamaha Virago vs Honda CBF250

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by *Jen*, Jun 11, 2008.

1. G'day All.

I just got my L's :grin: and I have narrowed my bike choices down to the Yamaha Virago 250 or the Honda CBF250.

I am hoping that someone can give me some feedback on either of these bikes as i'm a first time bike buyer!

Cheers

2. Jen,

Depends on what sort of riding do you want to do.

The Virago is a very popular learner cruiser, whereas the CBF is more along hte lines of naked. Two completely different types of bikes.

What sort of riding do you want to do? Touring, commuting, etc.

Do you plan on buying 2nd hand or new?

Otherwise, they are both reasonably good bikes. However, as an example Rosie bought a Virago originally then after some months upgraded to a VTR250 as the riding she was doing or what she thought she wanted to do changed. Please correct me if I am wrong Rosie

3. had the same decision to make a little while ago. my mates told me not to buy the virago and to but a vtr250. i ended up buying the cbf250 'cos that's what i learnt on and it was a bit cheaper. it's an alright bike for learning on, some people have called it a "sewing machine" :-O)

4. Get the CBF250. Stay away from the 250 Virago junker.

5. Any reason you are limiting yourself to a 250?

I have never ridden a Virago but I was advised that cruisers are not such a great idea for learners due to their reduced turning circle and less lean before you hit the pegs on the black stuff. Many learners do have them mind you but remember the MOST (P's) test is based on low speed turns.

Adam

6. 24496_0_1_2_cbf250_Image%20credits%20-%20Honda.
    HONDA
    Power: 20.00 HP (14.6 kW)) @ 8000 RPM
    Torque: 2.2 kgf-m or 16.2 ft.lbs @ 6000 RPM
    Compression: 9.3:1
    6 speed

24269_0_1_2_virago%20250_Image%20credits%20-%20Yamaha.
    YAMAHA
    Power ?
    Torque: 2.1 kgf-m (15.2 ft-lb) @ 6,000 rpm
    Compression: 10.0:1
    5 speed

They're both good bikes, very different concepts though... and pretty similar in performance specs. Depends what you want to do. For me it'd be the Honda.

Rybky, many rider schools have learner fleets that include Viragos... so they're fine. All cruisers suffer from ground clearance issues... but you don't get a cruiser for cornering.

7. Join the Hyosung club, seems like everyone here absolutely loves them :LOL:

8. Get the cheapest POS you can get your hands on.

9. 10 pts for enthusiasm, but mate... beatdeadhorse.

10. Exactly, get a hyo