Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Yamaha Virago 250 review

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by Jacob33, Oct 29, 2014.

1. I wanted to try a cruiser styled bike without spending too much $$. Settled on the Yamaha Virago and found a 1998 model with around 50,xxx kms. Owned it for about 6 months before selling. Here's my impressions:

The good:
    -The little v-twin engine is super reliable, sounds bigger than a 250 and has enough torque for city riding.
    -Comfortable. Relaxed riding position, low seat height, etc.
    -Fun to ride!
    -Easy to work on. Mechanically it's very basic and I did just about everything myself. Learnt a lot and saved plenty of money.
    -Brakes are adequate. It was a bit of shock after being used to front and rear discs, but they do the job.
    -Cheap to own. Excellent fuel mileage and there's plenty of parts on eBay if anything needs replacing.

The bad:
    -Handlebars. After a while they started annoying me. They make cornering more an effort than it should be IMO. Considered buying a flat bar, but this messes up the angles of mirrors and brake master cylinder.
    -Seat. Low quality and uncomfortable after a while.
    -Too many plastic bits.
    -The Philips head screws on this thing are soft as butter. They get stripped easily so the Grabit got plenty of use.

Would've kept it but I could see the high kms were going to cause problems in the future, as the rest of the bike is not as robust as the engine. Sold it to a friend who wanted to try his hand at building a bobber. Overall, build quality is inferior to Honda and they've cut a few corners, but for what it is, the Virago is a great entry level bike for beginners, and anyone looking to get into cruisers. Really enjoyed owning it, and ended up going for a ride whenever I could.

2. Thanks John, nice assessment.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Nice one. I rode a friends virago once ( I owned a z1000 at the time ) and found it to be annoyingly gutless and painful to be changing gears so often.

• Like Like x 1
  4. What would it be like for riding from Sydney to Wollongong on a regular basis? Would it make it back up the Escarpment or keep up on the freeway. (P plater here still)??

5. For any sort of highway riding this bike would be horrible IMHO. Get a lams 650 mate. If your strapped for $ I would look for a hyosung 650 comet or similar

• Like Like x 1
  6. Yeah it's definitely too small for highways. Even on a shorter trip from Sydney to Royal National Park I quickly noticed how the lack of power makes it inadequate and unsafe. The Yamaha v-star 650 would be a much better choice.

7. I've only ever had a breif ride on one and it seemed quite gutless. i also found the handlebar hit my knees. im 5'11" and the abot 85 kg.

id say you'd have to be 5'8" and 75kg or smaller to really apprieciated this bike.

8. Ok thanks guys I will look at something bigger.

9. It was only a brief ride, so don't' let me put you off entirely. You could adjust and change the bars and it may be you just have to rev it a bit more than I did.

It has a good reputation.

10. I did my L's and P's on a Suzuki Marauder, similar concept with an even weaker single-cylinder motor. Even sat back, feet on the pillion pegs and head on the tank, it struggled to reach and maintain motorway speeds.

I've since ridden a 250 Virago - it's a bit stronger but I still wouldn't recommend it if you'll be doing frequent intercity runs.

11. If u like the look of the virago maybe take a el250 for a ride. They are pretty fun bikes with more power than the virago