Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Yamaha Tx500 ~Head removal

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by Garn Cook, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Just wanted to confirm some tech details re-head gasket on the TX500.
    1. Do I have to cut the cam-chain to remove the head?
    2. Do I have to remove the engine from frame to remove the head?
    RegardZ

2. Get a service manual, otherwise you're just guessing. :) Should be pretty easy to find.

I could be wrong, but I don't expect you'll find too many TX500 owners on this forum.

• Agree Agree x 1

3. Or anywhere else, come to that. In 30 years of being able to reliably identify motorcycles I think I've seen two of them. Three if you count the double-knocker variant of the XS400.

4. Try asking at www.dotheton These guys restore a lot of old bikes & surely there would be someone there that has done a TX500.

5. Tinkering, I'm unable to get into that site [Server not found]. I will try again!

I find that most manuals expect the engine toi be removed for most major work!
    RegardZ.

6. As has been mentioned. Service manual.

Mate, just google exactly what you are after.... ie.. TX500 head removal.
    I did and it came up with a number of sites to choose from.
    Also check it out on youtube.

7. I looked at a tx500 parts diagram & they sell a joining link for the cam chain, part number 94962-09001. Usually genuine cam chains come already joined, so if Yamaha sells a link for the chain, that suggests it does need to be split to remove head.

The web site should be www.dotheton.com/, sorry forgot to add the dot com. Alternatively try google with 'do the ton'.

8. Tensioner undo = loose chain.

Mark the sprocket and retainer before removal so you can do it back up in the right place.

Happy tinkering!

- boingk

9. Also try XS500. It was rebadged thus after the TX750 debacle.

10. Thanks Guys, I was pointed to a TX500/XS500 forum. They should know all about my problems.
    RegardZ.