Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Yamaha Scorpio

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Tubby, Jun 19, 2007.

1. As a beginner, I went and looked at the Yamaha Scorpio yesterday arvo. Im no expert, but this seems to me like a good little bike for a learner/beginner like me to spend some time on.

I am getting this purely for commuting to work and back, and we are talking just over 20k each way including about 3 km of highway (usuaully doing around 80km/h on th highway)

FOr the price, I don't think I could go wrong...

Any thoughts....

2. Hi Aaron,

I'm also a beginner in the process of choosing a first bike, and the Scorpio is factoring into my calculations. I had a bit of a ride of one at the riding school where I did my Ls. It's a cute little bike - comfortable (for me), zippy, handles well. I believe it will run on the smell of an oily rag too. Probably not all that much in the way of power, but I would imagine it would do 80km/hr comfortably enough. Seems like a good choice for city riding, and certainly it's dirt cheap.

There's been a bit of discussion about the Scorpio on Netrider already. See:

Christie :)
  3. If your not going to be doing big highway legs have a look at the CBR125R or maybe even a scooter? The CBR125R would make an excellent commuter and it's cheap. Its the best selling bike in the UK!
  4. Closer match would be the CBF, the CBR may be the same price but compared with the CBF/Scorpio it's got less power and tyres that look like they've been nicked off some kids bicycle.
  5. Scorpio should be a very good bike for you, it is built exactly for this kind of use. And I'm sure it'll cope with 80km/hr!
  6. As far as I can see it's an updated version of the same 223cc engine as the XT250. That engine does about 102km/h with my 90kg on board an XT, so with road sprockets you should get good highway speed out of one. However I am a little doubtful of Motorcycle News saying 140km/h :eek: !
  7. just don't get on the freeway! :p
  8. It amazes me that given there is obviously a market for cheap 250s that Suzuki didn't keep selling the GN250. You can still buy one brand new in New Zealand for just $3300 so it's not like they stopped making them :? .
  9. I really liked the CBR125 but the problem I have with it is that when I get on it, I find that I feel a little cramped, as opposed to feeling more comfortable on the Scorpio.

Yes, both Yamaha dealers I have spoken too have advised me that it is the same engine as the TTR 250 or something....

Usually when I get on the highway in the morning, its already backed up and rarely get to 100 anyway.

I'm still on my L's at the moment so when I get my licence, I guess the best thing to do is to take one for a spin....

10. Made in Indo !
    Not that there is anything wrong with that, like over there they use it to carry livestock, building materials, and 3-4 passenger pillions. :eek:
  11. Given the only competition is made in Brazil, Thailand or China I don't think the made in Indonesia thing should be too much of an issue - although worth remembering that none would be designed for continuous "high speeds" (by which I mean anything over 100kph).
  12. I don't think where the bike is made is going to be an issue, after all, if it was, then every boke made there would be having the same problems. Often having a bike (or car) made somewhere unorthodox is a small inconvenience, but never really an issue or the manufacturer would surely look at ceasing production rather than continually losing money on warranty repairs...

Mickyb V9, I noted your sig that says you have a VTR for sale, I can't PM cause I am less than 20 posts, but maybe you could PM me with some details....

13. Yes but the conditions in Indonesia (and the rest of SE Asia) are vastly different to what you'd find here - most bikes in Indo would be lucky to get over 60kph and unlikely to do more than a few kms in any given trip. So even though the bike may work perfectly well in Indonesia it remains to be seen how well it'll stand up to local conditions. Should be fine if you can restrain yourself and keep well within the bikes limitations - though I reckon most newbies would probably get bored with one fairly fast (long before restrictions end).
  14. I'd say conditions in Indonesia are, if anything, tougher. Heat and humidity are not the ideal environment, their roads are even worse than ours (if that's possible), bikes will be loaded with chickens, furniture and entire families, and as for short trips, well, I think engines actually prefer longer ones - nothing puts more wear and tear on machinery than constant start-stop conditions. As for speeds, if you stick to urban environment for which this bike is intended, they are well within bike's capability.

If you buy one as a stepping stone to a sports bike then yes, probably. But if you just want to get that 20km commute out of the way faster and cheaper than in your car, any bike that does it today will do it just as well a year down the track. Not everybody wants a toy to entertain them - some people just want a tool to do the job.
  15. And there lies your problem. A bike designed for hot, humid conditions may not be designed to cope well with cold temperatures which could be an issue if you plan on using it everyday. Having suspension designed for carting heavy loads over rough roads means it's not going to be the best at taking corners at 80-100kph. And as for engine wear if you're having to keep the rpm at or near redline continuously just to maintain a safe speed. Nothing wrong with buying a bike just for commuting around urban areas - though anyone buying one for that should also seriously consider a scooter.
  16. the bike might be made in indonesia, but that doesnt mean its made to sell in indonesia. harleys for example are made in taiwan and china, but i doubt you'd see many on the roads there, certainly not as many as you see in garages in australia.

as for that scorpio, i think itd be a great bike. what it lacks in top speed it would make up for with handling and fuel economy, and servicing/parts would be (comparitively) cheap. plus it has a kickstarter which, as ive said before, all bikes should have.
  17. No, but it is. Why would an Indonesian manufacturer ignore the massive SE Asian market and produce something solely for the tiny, tiny Australian market.
    Pretty sure this place ain't advertising them for Australia ;)
  18. I live in Melbourne and my Scorpio starts right away even on the coldest mornings. I have had it for three months and it has been a perfectly reliable and easy to ride bike. It easily keeps 100kmh with power to spare. I never considered buying a scooter. I just wanted a great learner bike, and I think that's what I have! I honestly think it's hard to fault the Scorpio for what it is.

19. I'll have to say don't knock it till ya ride it. I've ridden both the Scorpio and the CBR125, whilst the CBR is fun, the insurance not so. Plus the Scorpio is a hell of a lot of fun to ride around town. Its like a learners Bandit. The seating position of the Scorpio is much better for around town plus it has a way better turning circle.

20. Where did I say I was knocking it? Thats three really old Yamaha Scorpio threads you have bumped.