Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Yamaha Scorpio - Do you think they'll sell any?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Marlon, May 1, 2007.

1. Hey fellas!

Continuing my love of budget-priced, underpowered and unpopular motorcycles I was a bit interested in the new Yamaha Scorpio. Well, not fascinated, but $5000 for a commuter is pretty interesting.

Has a 225 engine, is apparantly bloody easy to ride and can run off the smell of an Oily rag. By the looks of things they have been sold in Indonesia for a while.

Do you reckon they'll sell any? They're ugly as sin, the resale value will be shocking and they offer nothing than the equally boring Honda 250 does. (And it's already established) I can't even imagine a place in my garage as a cheap commuter - a 250 dirtbike would probably do the job better, or a CBR 250 a teeny bit quicker.

2. I hope they will sell lots, because I share your love of budget-priced, underpowered and unpopular motorcycles :) I think there's hope because Scorpio is so delightfully cheap it might appeal not only to the beginners but also those who already have a nice bike, nice enough they don't want to subject it to the daily grind.

Then of course there are the beginners looking for their first bike - why buy some second-hand thing when you can get a new one? Some people don't like dirtbikes, mainly because they feel too high for them, and some people don't like CBRs, because they are too tiny.

But mostly, I think they just make sense as a cheap commuter. The way I see it, why buy a 125cc scooter with tiny wheels when the same money buys you a 225cc proper motorcycle?
  3. It's a blinged up farm bike. No style to speak of at all.

Why would you buy that when the CBF250 at least looks ok. (Didn't like it personally)
  4. Because apart from special deals, Scorpio is cheaper than the CBF while offering pretty much the same specs. As for the styling, I don't see a lot of difference between the two - neither is especially inspired, but then I don't think they are too terrible either... they are simple and functional and I'm OK with that.
  5. when I saw the scorpio on the yamaha website I though it looked ok.
    when I saw it in person I was really turned off.

they took the Cb250 design & made it WORSE!!
  6. Well, what do you expect - it's not easy to improve on the classic proportions and timeless elegance of CB250...
  7. It's a cheap, utilitarian no-bullshit bike. Excellent! Looks are overrated. Besides, since Cejay's late model Tuono was released ALL other bikes look shit, if only by comparison. Don't fight it.
  8. i still ook at it and think "Sherpa" farm bike with bling.

Mechanically it may be as solid as a rock... but a lorge number of 1st time buyers are going ot want something with more "seks" (TM by Ktulu) apeal.

CB250 is a good bike to... but people still buy older bikes and imports in preference.

I just don't think it is going to achieve decent sales numbers on goofy looks and low price.
  9. If they got rid of the spoked wheels it would look OK.
  10. One of the chaps on the twowheels forum (mikeandmary) has just bought one, his comments below.

Well I thought it's time to tell how the scorpio's going...

The most important stat... 400km and not a scratch

The Good...
    * Slightly better fuel economy than our 150cc scooter
    * Controls, gears etc. are easy to use
    * Very easy to manoeuvre
    * Accelerates well despite my 110kg butt
    * Comfortable (the bike's small but not cramped)

The Not good...
    * The indicator is silent (ie no clicking) so I keep forgetting to turn it off
    * Slow to first take off but good once you're going (probably more to do with me than the bike )
    * Rear brake is pretty weak (great for slow speed control though)
    * Feels light when travelling over 90km/h

It's a great bike for the new and nervous learner market. Size wise it's perfect for shorter peoples (my wife is 5'1" and she is more comfortable on it than the scooter). When I upgrade to a bigger bike again she's already claimed this one. Having said this I ride 40km to work and it's better on the bum than the scooter was.

In all, seems like quite a good bike for the learner or returning rider to gain some confidence on.

11. Innovative thinking!!!! :

A kickstarter. What will they think of next? Could this be the start of a trend? Of course, you might never need it. But when it's pissing with rain, the battery is almost flat, you're miles from home and its 2am, damn, they're nice to have.
  12. yep I have taken to parking my bike on a hill, bloody ugly but! :grin:
  13. It's better than owning a daelim 125?

I think it could be cheaper still, it might be the cheapest road bike on the market, but you can get a nice scooter for that money.
  15. What 250cc scooters are around that match the Scorpios price?
  16. Ha, Chairman :LOL:

4 stroke and single cylinder in a small capacity bike? What are the benefits? Serious question btw, is this why it has the cheaper price tag and good fuel economy?

My understanding is that single cylinder = all kinds of uncomfortable on the road due to vibration etc., or has modern technology taken care of that :?
  17. Yes, I think a single cylinder engine is likely to vibrate more than a multi-cylinder one, but to put this in perspective, just about any scooter you're likely to buy (including those larger ones like Burgman 400) is probably going to be a single cylinder as well.
    Which is why I think it's a pity Honda replaced CB250 (which was a parallel twin) with CBF250, which is a single, like Scorpio. It's probably something to do with the price...

As for the fuel economy, it is quite normal for a bike to be more efficient than a scooter of equal size. People go ga-ga over scooters economy, but that has more to do with their small engine size than their special efficiency. My CB250 is perfectly capable of using as much petrol as scooters in 125-150cc class... I think the main reason for their relative thirst is that scooters as a rule are a fair bit heavier than bikes of equal capacity; for example, sticking with the Burgman 400, its weight is listed at 199 kilos - more than some 650cc bikes on the market.
  18. Ah, but the scorpio's not a 250. It won't stand up to highway speeds well (90km/h would be possible but not comfortable). It's a town bike (nothing wrong with that). Point is, it's fair to compare it with smaller scoots.

I'd prefer a 125 or 150cc 2-stroke over a small four stroke single. You can get a decently performing scoot for less than $5000

You're a cheeky beggar chairman!

Not true at all in small capacity singles, and not that bad in large capacity modern jap singles either. There are plenty of Euro style touring bikes made with large singles, so a well sorted single is as smooth as anything.
  19. I've had three singles, two 200's and a 400, and there's no problem with vibration at all. I think people are just becoming used twins, triples and fours that deliver their power a bit more smoothly.

Even bigger singles, the DR650 etc haven't been a problem with me at all. Maybe you old farts feel it a bit more!

Singles are great to learn on as they are predictable as all hell, very reliable and very cheap to service and cheap to manufacture. If this is the same powerplant as a TTR250, which I think it is, a gearing change, punch a few holes in the airbox, and drill the muffler and proper highway speeds shouldn't be a problem.