Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Yamaha RZ500 project bike

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by dgmeister, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Yamaha, pay attention

RZ500 project,
    original frame with R6 swingarm and R1 forks
    R6 fairings

V4 two stroke
    177 kg wet
    90 hp

not bad for a dinosaur
  2. If your going to do it, do it right...

RZ500 engine...porting, carbs, reeds and proper pipes....add 40-50bhp, loose some kilos with proper pipes.
    R6 frame complete, no problems with the rz500 frame not being able to handle the extra power.
    Replace the forks with Ohlins units and replace the rear shock with an Ohlins TTX36 MkII.
    Brembo monobloc calipers and radial master cylinder, and braided lines to complete the stopping package.

end result....150bhp, 150kg in a sweet handling frame/suspension package with a wicked powerband.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Just pay attention to which plug lead goes where. They will run backwards, but I don't know what might come undone in the gearbox.
  4. heh heh
    not criticising, just funny when you look at Netrider stats lol
  5. [​IMG][​IMG]

RG500 project
    Spondon frame with single side swingarm and plenty of trick bits including wheels, 570 big bore and fireblade plastics

i feel a new hunger
  6. [​IMG]

and i have to include THE sexiest bike ever made, the Aprilia RS 250

*a 500cc prototype project was offered for sale by an australian company, the TSS RS 500 GP

with the engine mounted in the RS 250 frame, out ward appearance of a 250 remained with the 500 being a parallel twin (2 pipes) the prototype twin pipes were lower to the ground as they were wider

figures were roughly

sadly the project was a failure...

7. He he he. Did you read the fuel economy figures for the first bike you posted? Something like 9 litres per 100 if my memory serves me correctly. For 90 Hp. Don't get me wrong, I'm as keen as on 2 strokes, but that's not too flash however you want to look at it.
    The Suzuki RG500 was a far more exciting bike to ride. Tuned more for to end, and the power came on a lot stronger than the RZ.
    Don't know why none of the manufacturers aren't using some of the new clean 2 stroke tech available in snowmobiles and outboards. Some pretty impressive stuff there if you go looking :)
  8. .... I remember watching the RZ win the Castrol Six Hour at Oran Park; it was running on fumes for the last couple of laps :LOL:
  9. Well, how many of us care about the fuel economy of a bike that looks and sounds as spiffy as the first, yellow one?

I saw it up at Pie in the Sky and it is absolutely gorgeous.

It's just a pity (and relief to my wife!) that I can't fit on one of those.
  10. Well, me for starters. If I'm going to tip that much fuel into a bike, I'd expect a little more than 90 hp. Especially as I actually ride my bikes. 600-800km days are the norm for me. If I was only tooling around town, and to my favourite cafe once or twice a month, it wouldn't worry me. But I actually wear my bikes out:)
  11. this thread is useless without a sound recording.... :)
  12. #14 dgmeister, Feb 26, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2013

The suzuki RG 500 Gamma was released in 1985
    its design was directly based on the 1984 grand prix racer of the same name, the racer was ridden to four GP world championships

the road going version boasted figures of 95hp in 155kg when the 1982 gp racer had 130hp in 135 kg

the bike also introduced aluminium frames to the world market, at a time when the technology was still new in gp racing

the bike has a close power to weight ratio to its sisters, the 1985 GSXR 750 and the GSXR 1100, but the 500 is of course lighter in weight

a landmark of production sportbike development

the power to weight ratio and total weight stand up even to today's standards almost 30 years later
  13. Here you go......the sweetest sounds on 2 wheels

14. This might be a stupid question, but how come when people start bikes on rear stands, often race spec bikes, the wheel rotates when the bike appears to be in neutral? (because the revs dont seem to correlate with the wheel movement mostly) something ive wondered for a while, might be a stupid question.
    As for the two smokers, awesome bikes, there is this great restored red and white rz500 that ive seen a few times up at kulnara and road warriors, sounds epic and its super clean with modern brakes and suspension if i remember correctly. Looks and sounds boss.
  15. Wearing my pedant hat, I believe the GSXR400 came out a year earlier...
  16. - clutches drag when cold.
    Sometimes the bikes can be started by a sharp 'pull' of the back wheel. Obviously it would need to be in gear for this to work ( used to do this all the time with our 125gp bike ).
    Same goes for a push start or starting with rollers. Bike needs to be in gear to start.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. -we're both wrong... i'm running off internet articles here, but it seems the RG250 was the first production bike with an aluminium frame;

"-They (suzuki engineers) began in 1983 on Suzuki’s domestic market Gamma250 with the goal of producing a lightweight two-stroke for the streets. The RG250 was the world's first production alloy framed motorcycle. Building upon the success of the Gamma, in 1984 they introduced the four-cylinder, four-stroke, aluminum framed GSXR400 for the Japanese market. A full 18 percent lighter than comparable bikes on the market, the first GSXR set the tone for those that would follow.

"I felt that if we could do a 400 cc bike that was 18 percent lighter, we should be able to do the same with a 750", recalls Mr. Yokouchi.[1] Using a current model GS/GSX750ES as a starting point, Yokouchi’s team went through every part, reducing weight wherever possible."

-courtesy wikipedia

- "The GSX-R400... was released in March 1984. It was the first mass-produced light-weight racer replica with an aluminum cradle frame and a liquid-cooled inline-four DOHC engine with four valves per cylinder. The, in those days, amazing machine was based on Yoshimura's TT-F3 racer GS1000R. The competitors, Yamaha FZ400R and Honda CBR400R were 13—31 kg (29—68 lbs) heavier than the new and quick GSX-R.

- "1985 was the year the famous GSX-R750 was launched and caused a sensation with its appearance, power and light weight. The 750 cc version had even better power/weight ratio than its little brother and was much faster but not that different from the original, GSX-R400. It was fairly unknown in the time in the Western world but the GSX-R750 became instantly known as the sensational new racer replica from Japan. The fact that the GSX-R400 was released a year earlier is still unknown to many motorcycle enthusiasts outside Japan."

-courtesy; http://www.suzukicycles.org/GSX-R-series/GSX-R400.shtml

The development of the first GSXR750 was based on the lightweight GSXR400 in an effort to make a lightweight 750.

the 400 weighed 152kg and had 59hp, making the 500 even more impressive with only 3 extra kg's, but with 50% additional power.

(the competitor 400's weighed 13-31kg more than the suzuki 400, let alone the 500!!!)

the RG 500 was truly in a master class.
    but riders, as always, aren't as hard as they think they are, and the RG500 was somewhat a commercial failure as a road bike.

after those glory years of two stroke and a true concorde moment, the tides of production bike development changed toward favouring four strokes, and the true two stroke superbike was lost forever.

it almost even makes you wonder what progress has been made in 30 years...

in GP racing the two stroke development continued until 2002, when the Honda NSR500 had more than 180hp with a weight close to 130kg.
  18. #20 foot69, Feb 27, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
    From memory the 400 came out in 84, also from memory, Rob Phillis had a gsxr750 engine shoehorned into a 400 frame for the superbikes.

edit - beaten to the punch