Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Yamaha release new FZ8N

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by mav, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Replacing the FZ6N ?

really prefer the look of the FZ6N with those twin underseat exhausts and streetfighter front...but if they are going to replace it with this, i'll take it over the twins (GSR750 and Z750)

the XJ's just seem too damn soft to me

FYI $12,990 brand new

Attached Files:

2. The more you look at non LAMS bikes the more impatient you get..........didnt I tell you this the other day lol? I think youve caught the bug hard, the next 10 or so months will be tourture :).
  3. I wouldn't overlook the GSR750 too quickly.

Word seems to be that they've done a great job with the FZ8 motor, but it's still a 1000cc sized block and bike compared to the GSX-R750 based one in the GSR. The latter ought to be a fairly capable bike, if maybe a bit sportier next to the more all-rounder nature of the FZ, so they might not be too direct as competitors.

We'll have to wait for the GSR to get ridden and assessed.
  4. And remember the FZ8s failing...you can't adjust the front suspension and the rear is preload only...the competitors have preload and rebound (front and back) as a minimum...the Striple R even has full adjustment, front and rear!
  5. the tester doesn't like the suspension; some things with some Yamahas never change :LOL: It'd be a handful on Macquarie Pass and the "B" roads round the Southern Highlands, if he's right
  6. Easy fixed, and you have to expect it that price point. Did the tester say how much he weighed?

The Street Triple R has adjustment, but the Street Triple doesn't, and that doesn't make it slow.

One difference is that the FZ carries a few extra kilos by comparison. What I've read of it though, is that they've done a pretty good job with it. Ride quality and comfort are likely pretty sweet as compensation.
  7. perhaps you should have READ the test, then you wouldn't have needed to ask the tester's weight (90 kgs) nor what he thought of how the suspension would respond with other weighted riders.....
  8. I've read some tests, but not recently. That's why I asked.

I did just reread Kevin Ash's, and it was quite positive from a tester known not to mince words. At about 6'3", I'd guess he weighs at least that much or more.

Obviously the suspension is a compromise and concession to cost, but it seems to do well enough for the sort of bike that it is. And the usual point that it's pretty simple to get it matched to your own weight, if not improved as well, counts for many a bike that is sprung for a rider in a certain weight range. If the thing was fully adjustable it would still benefit from spring rates that suit the individual owner.

90kg should hardly be overworking the springers on a bike like that, but is likely a tad over the high end, given the tradition Japanese knack for springing many bikes softly.

It's a valid observation from a tester, but they also tend to push them to find the limits. A prospective buyer can take that into account (as well as their own weight), but at the same time it can be blown out of proportion, which does the bike an injustice.

Now if you consider the 35kg or more extra weight over the like of the Street Triple, that's another point, but then it's essentially an FZ1, so you pays yer money...
  9. Being a motorcycle journo that test rode it, it would not surprise me in the least if he did not adjust anything to suit his weight/speed.
  10. it may weigh a couple of kilo's more than the STR, but remember that this bike is physically larger than the STR...

STR vs FZ8N

2030mm vs 2410mm

736mm vs 770mm

Seat Height
    805mm vs 815mm

1395mm vs 1460mm

Liquid-cooled, DOHC, in-line 3-cylinder 675cc vs Liquid-cooled, 4-stroke, DOHC, forward-inclined parallel 4-cylinder 779cc

167kg (Dry) - with an empty 17.4 Litre tank vs 211kg (Wet) - with a full 17Litre tank

so no duh that it's heavier?

many riders would be stepping up from a LAMS bike with non-adjustable suspension so I personally don't consider it an issue...ignorance is bliss??

and aside from that argument, no one has commented negatively on its looks yet :D

yet if you look at the GSR750 thread...:bolt:
  11. I'll bite. Its fugly.
  12. they should have used an adapted version of the big bang motor, they would have caused a much bigger stir!
  13. I sort of alluded to this earlier. This is almost certainly a comfier, roomier bike, if not more practical. Ash says the half-faired version (Fazer) is good for riding all day at speed. These are sure to be a great commutor that you can just as easily do big trips on, with a bit of fanging thrown in as well. Much like the 1000, but probably even more civil.

Pretty good for the money, I reckon, and most people like the looks too.

I suspect the GSR will be a bit more edgy and aimed more directly at competing with the Triples.