Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Yamaha R6

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by boro_baba, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Any1 that has every owned a 1999-2002 YZFR6 i would greatly like to hear your thoughts on it? Goods? Bads? Anything you wanna say about it feel free. :)

Mod: Don't use all caps in the title please.

2. Rockin' bike. Light, quick, nimble. You will need to rev it more than a 1000cc but these are such a smooth engine that you shouldn't mind revving it. It'll handle better than a 1000.

A pleasure, unless you buy one that has had a young hooligan owner and has been thrashed and destroyed. Sadly those are common. Choose carefully based on condition, and it'll be a great sportsbike. Avoid crash damage, engine rattles or smoke, and clunky gearboxes.

3. Hi boro, I owned a 99 R6 for about 5 years and had a very positive experience owning it. During that time I did not have any issues and it was very reliable (but then I did look after it). Never once left me stranded and it started every time I pressed the starter.

The engine was slightly peaky for the road, so you had to be careful of gear selection as it did have a habit of bogging down at lower RPMs (around the 5k mark from memory). By all accounts it is nowhere near as bad as the 06+ R6s but just keep in mind that anytime you wanted to accelerate quickly (eg: overtaking) you needed to drop a gear or two to make it happen. I have read that some people had some gearbox problems (2nd gear apparently) but I never noticed any issues with mine.

The handling was great with the bike being very easy to throw around corners, slip through traffic and generally get around. One thing I would mention is to get a steering damper, as the older R6s tended to be a bit twitchy at the front end. Adding a damper made a huge difference for me. I always found the R6 fairly predictable and didn't have too many moments (the few moments I did have were probably rider errors :LOL: )

Like any sportsbike, the R6 can be a bit uncomfortable, but it was pretty good considering. I could normally do a couple of hours at a time before needing to stop and stretch the legs. I never had any problems moving around the bike for cornering and wrist soreness only came on when I was getting tired or lazy.

I loved owning the R6 and the only reason I sold it was to go OS for a couple of years. Now that I'm back in Oz I am seriously looking at another one. If you're seriously considering one I would recommend you get a ride on one to see if it suits you.

4. I think these two statments might have a conection...
    Clutch up mono anyone?

5. Sweet as... thanx for the feed back guys...

dgug

I bought 1 and im loving it!!! :biker:

6. But you've lost your license again so enjoy why you can and try not to kill the rest of us :wink:

7. twitchy front end
    get one with a steering damper if looking at these years model.

8. OOOH!
    I want to get one of these one day! the 08 is sooo hot!!!!!!

9. Grats Boro! :grin:

Just remember :worthlesspics: :LOL: :LOL: