Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Yamaha R6 thinking of changing the chain & sproket Ratio

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Generalslug, Aug 4, 2005.

1. I have got a yamaha 2002 R6 and am thinking of changing my chain and sprocket so I get more acceleration and less top end speed. I use my bike for a lot of riding in the alpine hills so I don’t have much use for top end speed on the road. Has anyone toyed with any set-up and had success or is it just a waste of time and money?

2. I'm not touching this one with a barge-pole!
  3. There will be varying opinions on this one, but mine is that the R6 has plenty of everything for me (more than I'll ever use on a public road, and geared for the track), so I'm not in a hurry to change it too much. Altering stuff like sprockets may throw things out on the bike like speedos and mapping etc, and for the gain you get I'm not overly interested.

4. Just do it. Try it just a few bucks :wink:

Cheers 8)
  5. great idea, just dont change the ratio too much so you are red-lining at 100 :)

maybe 1-2 down on the front or 2-3 up on the rear
  6. Go 2 up on the rear and 1 down on the front.
    Most people do this to get better acceleration with the sacrifice of top end speed.
  7. i did it with my thundercat and thought the change was great :D i went down 1 on the front and up 2 on the rear for some much more usable power that was a bit more fun on the streets. never noticed the difference in fuel consumption, but didn't really ride it enuff for that.

i think you will run into a problem with the speedo, your R6 will be run off the motor if its digital, not the front wheel like my cat was. theres a little jigger you can buy that will fix that tho, i think www.austreetfighter.com.au stocked them. shouldn't be any issues with mapping i wouldn't have thought, it doesn't change your motor any, just the way the power is put to the wheel :?
  8. Hey slug,

There is an excel spreadsheet floating around on the internet that you can use to calculate the RPM and speed changes from using different gearing. I can't remember right now what it is called - or where to get it, but I'm sure somebody else here will.

Good luck,
  9. jump on www.ozsportsbikes.com and have a look at "useful tools" in the menu. theres a gearing calculator there :D