Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Yamaha R15

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by UserInterface, Jul 28, 2011.

1. So I have been reading this forum for the last few weeks like my life depends on it (maybe it does a little). I was looking at buying a Yamaha R15 sometime over the next few weeks, but am wondering why I can not see anything on here about this bike.
    Has anyone got one of these or is there a reason that no one is riding one?

2. I read a review in 2wheels about it and they loved it. Thought it was a great bike, especially for commuting. Lots of grunt for a 150cc and good all-rounder
  3. Also agree that it seems like a decent little 150. Only thing I'd say about actually buying one is that its a very small capacity bike and unless you're very physically small (saw a petite 5ft woman who it fit like a glove) it'll most likely be somewhat akward.

I would heartily recommend a larger motorcycle unless all you are doing is commuting, as these small 'cycles will not be highway freindly at all and will also struggle up hills, in the wind or with a pillion (gasp!).

The sort of thing I'd recommend to a learner is a good 250 like the Ninja or Hyosung 250's, or even a larger bike such as the Suzuki DRZ-400 or GS500 and the extensive range of other LAMS options.

Cheers - boingk
  4. I'm average hight, but only light. When I did my L's I found it very hard pushing the Honda around so was kinda counting on it being lighter..
  5. #5 bulby, Jul 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    I weigh a little under 60kg, and I managed to push my 200kg (give or take) GS500F 3 blocks home after a low speed off. So yeah. Don't worry too much about the weight =]
  6. Hey there,

I owned the now outdated R125 as my first bike while in the LAMS stage. Now I have not ridden the new R15 but there are a few things that look "less" instead of "more" when I had a close look at one. If you are looking at commuting only then I would suggest looking at a runout R125 as an option.

That being said I could not wait to get off the silly little thing as soon as I possibly could! I was convinced that commuters on bikes had no need to exceed 100km/h as that is the highest posted speed limit between home and work. What I didn't know is that hills and headwinds made that posted speed limit unobtainable. You will find that motorists have very little patience for a "race bike" that cant keep up with traffic! Bearing in mind that I was in my first year of riding, I did everything I could to keep the little bugger out of everyone's way, but sometimes I became a down right nuisance - and I knew it! I was constantly going back roads to avoid single lane high ways and had all sorts of nastiness coming at me for something I couldn't control!

I now ride a 650 and all the stresses related to what I couldn't do before are gone. I can now enjoy riding knowing that I have the means to do what I have to do if I need to do it:-s! Its all about giving yourself the most options possible to stay safe on the roads.

If you've already considered all that then stop reading after the first paragraph and enjoy your new Yammy! I still think they look amazing and go well for what they are!

7. I am a little afraid that I will kill myself with a faster bike.
    The reason I stopped driving 4 years ago is I drive like the earth is my personal nascar circuit. After my 4th car I thought it might be safer (and cheaper) to just get train\bus.
    I live in Sydney and will only be commuting between Redfern and The Rocks (CITY) with the odd trip out to the Northern Beaches. I do not expect to keep this bike forever, probably just 2-3 years then I will feel confident to upgrade to something with a little more grunt.
    Does anyone know how they go as far as running? do they have to be serviced a lot or do they just keep on chugging? Or do they chew petrol or any other little thing that I would have no idea about when buying a new one.
  8. If you think you will kill yourself on a bigger bike you can still do that on a smaller bike. I would look at the 250s. I have a 250 and it is a good learner bike. I could not imagine riding a 125, but then again buy what you feel comfortable with. If you are not confident on a bike then should you get one to begin with?
  9. Are you adamant you want one with a fairing?

If you're after a commuter, especially for city riding (and presumably city parking)
    Naked bikes are much cheaper to repair.
    and easier to learn maintenance on.
  10. Are you much more mature now than you were? If not do yourself a favor and don't buy a road bike yet because a "ride it like you stole it" attitude and no experience is a recipe for road pizza. If you have the right attitude riding is safer on a bike with a bit of grunt (so you can get out of the way when required) I think a mid sized supermoto (400ish cc), usable power, light weight low gear ratios all add up to a great bike around town and heaps of fun in the twisties. The main problem I see with them is if you are a bit of a hooligan to start with they will make you worse, if that is the case then a dirt squirt might be the shot to get you decent bike control before you get out there in the traffic. Then you can tard it later for the road.
  11. I read a review that had the top speed at 140km/h and it is still getting 3L/100km. That is a pretty good commuter.
  12. Well I hope I am more mature but if I don't have the power then I can’t use it. I only had a 323 before but still managed to get myself into more trouble than I could manage.
    I guess that I am thinking like this now kind of proves that I should be better and the "Fear for my life part" defiantly never came into it before.

As for fairing I assume that is the plastic cr*p that makes it look like it goes faster (shell)? Then yeah I want that (and red so it goes even faster). I did like the VBR250?? That I used when I did my l's just that it was too heavy. After the first day of the course I was wrecked. Second day not too bad but I could still see myself dropping it if it tilted too far (when not under power) or I hit the gutter when rolling back to park it etc...

I have to say as well that the R15 seems to fit my price range well, and I really want to avoid getting someone else’s 2nd hand issues if I get a 2nd hand bike.

But please if there are other bikes in that kind of price range please let me know. I will be going out to bikebiz tomorrow to have a look around but at this stage I have just looked online. I will check out the Ninja 250 as well to compare, but they are another half more expensive as the r15 I think,.
  13. Honestly, you were wrecked because you had to concentrate hard for hours, rather than the physical weight of the bike. The VTR is a good learner bike and I would not remove it for this reason.

Buy what you want though as it is your bike at the end of the day :)
  14. Exactly. if you reckon the R15 is a good fit for you and you've ridden a bike or two before then you might be right. Don't expect freeway usage or anything more than 80 zones with it though... if your expectations are appropriate then you won't be dissapointed.

As for checking out the Ninja 250, definitely do it. They aren't one of the most popular bikes around without a reason.

Cheers - boingk
  15. Thats good to know, I thought they were just popular because they look awesome.
  16. Whats the difference between the Ninja 250R and the 250R SE?
    Sorry if this is a stupid question but google was not helping..
  17. Colour on the SE only comes in the green white looking one. Other than that I believe it is the same. Depending on the model I think it had white dials although the new ones have that now. But don't quote me on that :)