Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Yamaha R1

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by alexcontos, Apr 18, 2014.

1. Hey, looking for a different toy and found this R1 on ebay,

dyno results 143.79 Rear Wheel HP /107.54 NM Torque

I like the Z but getting bored with it and something i could take on the track would be good too, should i look at this or a newer model, any feedback appreciated, especially the R1 experts!

2. I had an 06.

Thats already at 5k with a day to go. The 1998 is getting to be a classic, if you want it for the track I think that you will overpay compared to what you get newer. Don't buy a classic if you are going to track it.

The old ones are more raw. Personally they all havetheir pluses and minuses and all are way to good for any of us mmortals to use so just get the best one for the least money would be my advice.
  3. I own 2 R1's (03 and 07) and that carby model will be a monster to tame. Carbie's have a different way of delivering power as oppose to FI bikes. As previous poster stated, at 5k already it looks like that bike might go to 8k +. What is your budget?
  4. yes agreed carbies are a different beast not necessarily bad either ;-) budget wise if i keep the z then probably spend upto 10K perhaps more for the right bike, It appeals cause it doesnt look like every other R1 out there, custom works been done and has good dyno results to prove it.
  5. It is nice but remember you have no insurance on the track so have a think about how much it would be to repair those fairings.

10k would buy you a nice 2005 model ish with money left over to get some Chinese fairings for track days and a trailer as well and maybe even some money left over for a few days and tyres.
  6. Yep, got $8k for it.
  7. 8k seems a lot for a 16 year old bike. I think the seller did well on that.

Op have you thought about why you are bored with the Z. One thing is that the R1 is a relatively similar bike to the Z in that they are both1000 inline fours. I have often had multiple bikes but I found that when I had bikes too similar then I didn't ride one. For me that is a waste.

I would think about getting something totally different.