Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Yamaha R1 2007 model concerns (help needed)

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by goofyOz, May 24, 2007.

1. Hi all, I'm new to these forums and hence I'm sure this question has been asked serveral times.

I'm looking at purchasing a new bike in a couple of months and am looking at the 2007 model R1. I'm quite a tall guy, 6' 6" and around the 100kg mark.

My main reason for this bike is that I've always had Yamaha bikes and have always been really happy with them. Secondly I REALLY like the look of the R1 and dislike the look of the R6 model.

My biggest concern is the power. If they made an R1 body with an R6 engine, I'd buy that in a heart beat. I'm a little worried that the R1 will be way too powerful for day to day riding and that I'll regret buying it for that reason.

I've had people tell me to have the rear sprocket changed to add an additional 2 or 4 teeth, which will decrease the acceleration, but I wasn't sure if this would make a big difference. Any ideas?
  2. Your best bet is to go and test ride one. Changing the sprockets will change the gearing and 1st gear is long enough on the R1 it would make it really hard for city or low speed riding.

Remember that if you keep the revs down low and short shift before the majority of the power comes on you will be experiencing only a fraction of the power and will be much more manageable. They only produce all that power up near redline.
  3. Thanks very much for that...

As for a test ride unfortunately I'm still yet to find a dealer which will allow this. Yamaha by default won't allow people to test ride the R1 due to some insurance issue.

Does anyone know where (hopfully Melbourne) an R1 2007 model can be test ridden?
  4. I'm not sure, you maybe could get a test ride on another new litre bike and get a feel on how its going to handle like? You don't have much to worry about though, you won't kill yourself if you are just using tiny throttle movements and going around like a granny. Just go and get your dream bike!

Have you ridden on a sports bike before? I would be more worried about the aggressive sports seating position as some people don't like this seating posture at all as it gives them cramps.
  5. +1

Your natureal shit-scaredness will stop you abusing the throttle, and at legal speeds this bike shouldn't be too unfriendly.

The current model superbikes don't really put out their ridiculous amounts of power until you get up past 100kmh in first gear. Don't get me wrong, that bike will cane like all f*ck, but only if you yank on the throttle.

Don't bother changing the gearing for less acceleration, the R1 is already geared extremely tall. First gear should take you up to nearly 180kmh. Gearing it even taller would be plain bizarre.

Personally I don't think bikes should be bought for looks, I'd recommend you check out the FZ1/FZ6. Both are much more practical machines that look great, destroy any car in a straight line and will scare the bleeding shit out of you if you want them to.

But hey.
  6. And when they do, you should probably have that looked at :LOL:

I have nothing useful to add :grin: :oops:
  7. Yamaha R1 Power

Hi there,

I own a 07 R1, and an 07 cbr600rr. Bought in March have done about 2500km on her.

As for power and punishment, the 600 is a less forgiving beast. Most of the 4 cyl. jap bikes are designed to generate power in the upper RPM range. So if you are in for a gentle ride, just stay below the 7000 mark.

The R1 will peak in 1st gear at around 150kph (you can try this on the track), but most of the pulling power is created above the 10,000 RPM level, below she is a sleeping giant.

For city riding usually cruise in 3rd gear at 60kph very happily.

This bike is very controlable due to the variable intake system and fly-by-wire throttle control.

However, one still must be very respectfull of the machine, as it can bite if your stupid.

Happy to answer any questions about it!

Cheers :LOL:
  8. going up on the rear sprocket would bring the top speed down, not increase it, larger on the front would increase top speed, think mountain bikes for a easy way to figure it out, changing up on the rear sprocket would make it rev out at lower speeds, and wheelie like its going out of fashion, to tame it down you would want to go down on the back or up on the front, so it cant just pull off like a storm out of hell