Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Yamaha MT-07 - First Bike!

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by S1L3NT, Sep 23, 2014.

1. Pre warning - this is going to be a long post and will have many pictures, with more posts to follow in the future when I get more riding done! So stay tuned :D

I picked up my new and first ever bike on Saturday morning, and have put about 70km on it so far. I am starting by using the bike on weekends mainly and will try to get some time in the saddle after work but I get home from work a little late. Eventually the plan is to commute daily to and from work on the bike so the wife has the car to drive our daughter and whatever else she needs while I am working. She still has about 6-7 months till she gets her P's so have plenty of time to practice and get time in the saddle. :)

I weighed this bike up against the CBR500 as per my other thread in this forum section, and decided that the MT-07 was the better one for me as it was more comfortable for me. I am 6'7 (about 2 metres tall) and weigh about 80-85kg and plan to commute 40km odd trip each way to and from work plus ride more than drive in general, so comfort on the bike for me was a big thing. I sat on them both and felt the CBR500 was a little cramped compared to the MT-07, so I took the MT-07 out for a test ride and was very pleased with the ride overall and decided that was the bike for me! So I put a deposit down and a few days later had a brand spanking new MT-07 to ride home :D

I took her for a few rides around town to get accustomed to riding the new bike as well as riding in general. Did a couple of slow riding practice sessions (very short ones I must say). So I do not have a huge amount of experience riding or on the bike as I have only had it a few days, but since there is practically no Australian reviews of the bike (I couldn't find any, aadmm has posted a short review recently however) I am doing a small write up to hopefully help a few people out in their decision for the bike, as it is a nice bike!

Overall the bike is very nice, the riding position is not too aggressive and can definitely be ridden for a longer time than say a sports bike. The bike is the lightest in its class right now at 179kg wet weight and 165kg dry weight, so I believe the bike can cater to a large range of riders both short and tall. Build quality seems solid in the short time I have had it, exhaust sound is the only real let down for me. It just doesnt sound very loud, however Yamaha have an "official" upgrade to the Akrapovic Exhaust system which sounds bloody awesome and is definitely something I plan on getting at some point.

The Yamaha MT-07 is a quick bike with power accessible from the low rev range but doesn't have issues even higher up in the revs. The power is smooth and predictable in my opinion so should not give anyone with a sensible mind too big a fright, it is after all a 655cc bike. Bike feels very "flick-able" from my short time riding, so this should be quite an advantage in future when it comes time for some track days :) My bike came with Bridgestone Battlax BT023F tyres which seem to be quite good and have quite good reviews online, this Yamaha can also come with some Michelin Pilot tyres.

The details on the bike are quite nice, and I personally like the overall look of the bike. Mine is a competition white which is not your general white, it appears to be a metallic type of white. There is some "carbon fibre" looking patterns on the front tyre guard and a couple of other parts of the bike also which I think is a nice looking finishing touch. The dash board has some nice features and is completely digital, it consists of the digital speedomoter, rev meter, odometer, trip meters (Trip A and 8), avg fuel per 100km, and I think average fuel currently? Not 100% sure on this one, I forgot to read the manual on this part.

The only possible issue that I have had with my bike is that the fuel gauge seems horribly incorrect. My bike came with a "full" tank of fuel, which after 30km of riding was showing 1 bar remaining (however was not flashing that it was on reserve) and I decided to refill. I have since done about 40km on the bike and have only lost 1 bar so far. So I will see if the original tank of fuel was not actually full or if there is an issue with my fuel gauge. But this is not really a major issue and can easily be tracked in other ways (such as the trip tracking systems inbuilt into the dash).

TLDR:
    Now onto the pictures! The better pictures were taken with my DSLR but were taken in my apartments parking garage which uses horrible yellow/orange lights and all the images are very yellowy. But until I figure out how to lug my gear someone nice, they will do :D

Ready for her first ever ride:
    IMAG1282.

After her first ride (~10km):
    IMAG1283.

And now time for the photo shoot :D You have been warned! :D

i-fLkL85G-L.

i-MnVfMF3-L.

i-LSxT7SB-L.

i-5BQLxqm-L.

i-RTBSZq4-L.

i-mBnj37K-L.

Thanks for your time and hope this review helps you out! Also hope you enjoyed the pictures! :D

There will be ongoing posts in this thread as I get more saddle time and will post more about the bike and my experiences here. That is the plan any way :)

• Like Like x 5
  2. I can only say, enjoy the feel and smell and sounds of a brand-new bike!

3. #3 Bandit01, Sep 23, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
    well done and congratulations. I think you have made a good choice! One word of warning; don't be in a hurry to put that louder exhaust on. Loud bikes with P plates are magnets for police. Spend the money on rider training.

I like the look of the bike, the decision to go for a larger capacity was the correct one and as said in an earlier forum, Yamaha make a decent bike.

Get the practice in. Start in local and quiet roads that you are familiar with. Menangle road is worth a ride and is close by. Start at Glen Alpine, do the full length to Picton Road (about 20kms) and turn right and ride through to Picton and back through Razerback and Camden, or turn left and go back via Wilton, Broughton Pass and Appin.

I'll keep an eye open for you on the road.

4. That thing looks nice, have fun and don't bin it ;-)

5. @hornet@hornet Love the smell of a new toy! Especially a bike! :D

@Bandit01@Bandit01 Thanks mate! I think I did too! I know what you mean about the cops, I drove a sport kitted BMW on my P's, and boy did that get annoying VERY fast. Haha. The bike to me feels great, I would definitely recommend it to anyone including new riders. Also thank you for the directions! I was looking for a nice road to do some practice on and get the tyres scrubbed in. I will write down your instructions and take them out for a ride this weekend! Celebrating daughters birthday, so will need to be between guests haha :D Any excuse is a good excuse to ride!

@basejumper@basejumper Thanks for the tip! Haha, will try my best. In saying that... I did my first skid the other day, downshifted into 2nd from 3rd to early coming to a set of lights. I am having a bit of issue decided when to down shift and I didn't slow enough with the brakes so the engine braking was quite hard and it was a millisecond of front tyre skid. No issues though, just got off the breaks real quick and applied slowly again. To sum it up, shat myself a little bit that second. Haha.

6. Yesterday morning, I got up earlier than my wife and daughter to get some riding practice in while they slept in. I have to say, it was so much fun and I felt confident on the bike. I chose to take a variation of the path mentioned by @Bandit01@Bandit01 . Headed through Menangle road but instead of heading to picton road I turned off to Camden and road past Camden back through to Campbelltown. All up about a 50km trip :) Which was just over an hours worth of riding for me, with lots of left and right bends, corners, etc. This was great for me to practice turning and gain some confidence, I do not have much issues with turning right at a set of lights any more, which is great! There was not many cars around as it was early on a Sunday, so not much to worry about apart from getting my lines right!

Last weekend (first few rides) I was having some issues with when to shift down to 2nd without HUGE engine braking and also had the front skid for a tiny amount of time due to shifting down to early. Yesterday was great for practicing my gear changes, which are now much much smoother and I understand my bike much better. My take off's are much smoother now, and did not stall once! :) Managed to remind myself to grip the tank not the handle bars so for the parts that were a little bumpy/dodgy road conditions I wasn't constantly trying to correct the bike but rather letting it do its thing without tiring myself out.

Saw a few other riders around, had a few returned nods but more not returned... Is it the L? :D

Tyres are scrubbing in nicely, with a solid amount scrubbing in on the edges too. Not as big a 'chicken strip' as I was expecting! :D Haha.

One thing I noticed while riding yesterday, but was not expecting, is the effects of wind when head checking at 90km or higher. Maybe I am just not used to it yet, but when I turned to head check at that speed, felt like my head was going to get pulled off by the wind haha. I may need to invest in a screen as I will be doing highway riding when I start to commute to work.

Bike has been fantastic! Has about ~120km on the odo now. The fuel gauge is still a bit all over the place, have done at 50km since filling up the bike and its at half tank again. This time I will let it go till the fuel gauge starts flashing before I fill up, just to see how much I get out of the tank.

Next item ont he to do list for the bike is to change out the black mesh for red mesh to match the red shock absorber and red Yamaha logo. I think the red will go nicely with the White and Black of the bike.

7. @S1L3NT@S1L3NT, Sounds like you are having a lot of fun on the bike. I noticed the fuel gage is still a bit funny, there is a small chance you may burn a bit more fuel because of the break in period as the bike will idle a little higher in the rev range at this stage. I am sure I will be corrected by someone after this and the fuel usage difference should be trivial but you will get a little less fuel economy at this time.

Also measure how much fuel you get in when you fill up next time, and have a little look in the tank to see how empty it is and estimate how much fuel you have when your tank is flashing empty.

As for the helmet nods, general rule I ride by is if they are not looking my way I don't waste my time nodding. So if they are not nodding at you it may be for this reason, it has nothing to do with L's. They are probably having to much fun just like you.

Glad to see you are loving the bike.

8. @endlesssummer@endlesssummer Have been having a blast! Wish I started riding way way earlier :D You could be correct in saying break in period uses more fuel. I will have to check the averages next time I am on the bike. Going to be rather annoying if I can only get <200km out of the tank... Considering its a 50km trip to and from work :\

Plan to just let it run to flashing fuel guage than when I fill up see how many L are put into the tank and see how many kms are done per tank. Time will tell :) Hoping to be getting atleast 300km per tank before flashing empty...

I guess they may not have been looking my way, but a couple definitely were without a nod haha. Bastards! :D

9. Good stuff mate and thanks for sharing.
    If I may offer a little tip in regard to engine braking and applying brakes. Try to focus on using your brakes to slow you down instead of using the engine, that's what brakes are designed for and the most efficient at.

I formed a little habit of using the engine to slow me down and then using the brakes to pull me up but after doing a couple of Advanced riding courses, they picked this up and stressed that I need to change my ways for a couple of reasons.
    One being as mentioned earlier, stopping is what brakes are good at and two people behind you will know earlier that your slowing down if you apply brakes first and then downshift. This should also minimise or eliminate compression lockups.

10. @icemaker@icemaker Thanks for the tip. I was not intentionally using the engine to slow myself down, being very wary of people around me not actually knowing I am slowing down (I tap the brakes approaching just to warn people, even in the car. To many close calls for my liking) but it was more that I was unsure when to down shift my bike. Absolutely shit my pants when I heard the front screech for the millisecond it did. Not effect on staying upright luckily! I quickly learnt from my mistake, which was the point of the long ride yesterday :) Confidence and understanding of the bike. Again, thank you for your tip!

11. Awesome, seems as though your on the right track. I suppose its just get out and ride to get your chops up.

12. @icemaker@icemaker Trying my best to get out as much as possible! I get home from work about 7pm every day, and try to spend the night with my daughter and wife :) So so far, riding is only weekends. My car is going to get some damage fixed in just over a week, and we get a loan car but I might ride to work a couple of times. Little worried that I am taking to big a step to early by doing this however...

I plan to head to the netrider learner sessions soon too :) Maybe even try and get a couple of rides in with one of the local mentors on netrider to help me polish my skills early on to stop me getting into bad habits early.

13. @SIL3Nt@SIL3Nt I am pretty sure you have a 14L tank of fuel, I think city riding will limit how far you will get on a tank of that size. A 600cc bike will probably only get you 250KM per tank on 14L. I ride a Ninja 300 ATM and I only get about 300Km on a 17L tank. Granted I can never get it filled to the top and I don't ride as economically as I could because for an extra $3-$4 dollars a week I cant be bothered.

But I am really interested to know how your bike goes, I am thinking of getting the MT-09 in about 2-3 weeks and I am worried about the small tank, because like you filling up twice a week could get annoying.

14. Well, judging how the overseas models are doing, they are getting 300-350km per tank, I am hoping the slightly reduced power of our MT07 will get the same or better. Just because I have a 100km per day trip, which is one of the reasons I sold my old car, had to fill her twice a week. Keep an eye out on this thread if you like, I will keep this updated with how I get on. Probably wont get the fuel gauge light for a while though as I do not ride much during the week, if at all. Currently, a weekend warrior :D Haha. Bike is averaging 6L at the moment, which is higher than others have been getting but I put it down to new bike and new rider :D

15. Hey @S1L3NT@S1L3NT how the bike going?

16. @aadmm@aadmm Bike has been fantastic! I havn't ridden during the week yet as I am not game enough to ride to work and its late when I get home. Have about ~120km on the bike so far, hasn't missed a beat yet. Still unsure about the fuel gauge as I posted earlier, but time will tell... Looking forward to getting out again though! Been a busy couple of weeks. How is your bike going? How many km you have on her now?

17. @S1L3NT@S1L3NT nice! mine is going great, nearly at 1000km. Will be getting its first service next week and hopefully the pipe fitted aswell.

18. Aadmm, where did u get ur mt-07 from? (which dealer?)

19. @aadmm@aadmm Awesome man. Let me know how you find the difference with the akrapovic on the bike. It sounded very nice on the demo bike I rode, but it did have the baffle removed. Need to organise a ride with you still! Netrider MT-07 ride around :D Haha.

20. @aadmm@aadmm let us also know which exhaust (carbon or titanium?)