Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

News Yamaha MT-03 | 2016 model review

Discussion in 'Motorcycling News' started by NetriderBot, Jul 21, 2016.

1. It's safe to say Yamaha is killing it with its current Massive Torque (MT) line up and the MT-03 is set to continue the trend.

Since-after the release of the MT-09 in 2013, Australia received a slightly restricted, Learner-Approved MT-07 in 2014, and it was so good (almost too good) Yamaha thought, ‘lets sell the higher-output model too’, and its been hotcakes ever since – both MTs topped the list of naked bike sales last year.

Late in 2015, Yamaha announced it would follow in the footsteps of its YZF-R3 machine by producing an entry-level bike to the Massive Torque range for the current model year using the same platform, but giving it more of an upright riding position and also making it look just as good without the fairing.

The MT-03 is based on Yamaha’s ‘Doctor Vale Approved’ YZF-R3 and it shares the same engine, frame, suspension and wheels – although being a naked bike, the bike feels more similar to the MT-07 than it does the R3 when throwing a leg over. It is a combination of subtle things – the MT-03’s upright seating position and higher ’bars, along with what seems to be a slightly different shaped tank and the lack of fairing – which are the main contributions to why a fundamentally naked version of the same bike feels so different to sit on.

The specs sheet obviously show the dimensions are very similar as the R3, but surprisingly it is also comparable to its ‘bigger’ MT-07 brother, which feels similar in size. The MT-03 has a 20mm shorter wheelbase, the seat height is 25mm lower and the overall height is 55mm lower than the MT-07.

The seating position is quite comfy and well-suited to first-time riders and those returning to the superior, two-wheeled mode of transport.

Riders of all shapes and sizes can call this bike home and it rides great for its intended application – which is to help a new rider get acquainted with things, and learning how fun and rewarding riding a motorcycle can be when you start out with the right one. Being taller, I tend to prefer the seating position of the MT-03 over its sportier brethren. I find it is a bit more practical for the road and I can enjoy myself a bit more – especially in traffic and city situations.

On the backroads, I can ride longer.

The 321cc parallel-twin engine likes to rev, but it is user-friendly and produces enough power to get out in front of traffic when you let your right wrist do enough of the talking. The engine is capable of quite high speeds (Yamaha is racing this engine in a one-make YZF-R3 Cup), well beyond the freeway limit. Things feel quite linear until peak torque is generated at 9,000rpm and power is produced at 10,750rpm, which provides a small surge in performance between. This means the MT-03’s engine performs best when it is kept on the boil to maintain its speed and acceleration, but continually riding the bike in its upper-echelon you will find other things start to find their limit, which I will get to soon.

Continue reading...
    • Like Like x 3
  2. This looks good, be interesting to see how the sales of this go compared to the BMW G 310 R
  3. Thank you so much for this review. I'm looking to give this bike a go. Hardly any reviews out there at the moment though so I appreciate it
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  4. Thanks for the review. I'm considering this bike.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. I bought it myself. It's a great little punchy controllable thing. Fun to ride and easy to maintain and has enough power to get you going
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Are you in NSW? If so, which shop did you buy it from?
  7. image. I have to say I don't like the look of the 2016 03 - much prefer the 2013 model
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. greatwolfgreatwolf I am. Get it from Bikebiz. They got it on sale atm!
  9. Thanks! Had a look last weekend.
  10. Any good? Or decided on something else?
  11. Since my trip over the weekend where I got on the MT-03 and MT-07 and lastly the XSR700. I'm leaning towards the XSR, although I'm on tippy toes. Will go back to BikeBiz this weekend to work out a deal.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. I like all 3 of them! Keen to see which one will be your new "baby" :). Might even see you at the LAMS Sydney sessions at homebush on Saturday's
  13. This bike is a lot of fun. It treats me really well as a new rider :)

The 2013 model is an entirely different bike, though... That's a single cylinder 660.

So you might as well compare the 2016 MT-03 to just about any bike that you prefer the look of, in this case :-O
  14. NamedNamed Which colour did you get? I got the Race Blu one. Still have to undergo my first service though :<
  15. I have the blue/silver, too. Mine is nearly at its first service.

How do you find the stock mirrors? I'm very close to replacing them with some sturdy barend mirrors so I don't have to try to look around my shoulders/elbows :|
  16. So we are twins!

Hahah I know exactly what you mean! Yes you do tend to do a chicken dance on the MT03 alright and I hate it too. Which ones in particular are you looking at? I might get new ones after I get a tail tidy cause that tail is just hideous.

17. Yeah that tail needs a tidy; what is the point of all that plastic! -_-

I am liking the CRG Lanesplitters (because they can fold in).

But our bike needs new barends for this to clip onto. A lot of customers at Revzilla and other sites were recommending the barends with mirror mounts from Rhino:
    RhinoMoto Sliders, Fork Sliders, Swingarm Sliders, Bar End Sliders, frame Sliders

It's a simple solution because there's no need to remove anything from inside the handlebars. The M6 bolts just screw straight in.

The mirrors, barends and shipping would cost about $335AUD though... :( There are much cheaper options but these seem well reviewed. I'll come to a decision about it in the next month or so :]
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. 335 AUD far out. Didn't expect that much. I was going to consult bikebiz. They usually got some fair prices or viable options. Mmmmmhm might keep chicken dancing for a little while longer

Are you coming to one of the Sydney homebush sessions?

OT: the mirrors are impractical and has been raised in quite a few reviews so future buyers beware when test riding one
  19. Bikebiz has quite a few mirrors but similar prices for CRG/Rizoma parts. Rizoma are even MORE expensive. Then you realise the listed price is not even for a pair :|

I'm in Adelaide :]

The stock mirrors may be better suited to shorter riders? I'm 6ft, 75kgs. I can place both feet flat on the ground while sitting on the MT-03/R3.
    This bike is ideal for shorter riders and perhaps their seating position would give them a better view out of those mirrors...
    Take note if you are 5ft-nothing: these bikes
  20. Just one for one!? Geez

That's what I was thinking as well. I am around the same, 6.1ft 75Kg. It could be intended for shorter riders or maybe even female riders as they are usually smaller in proportion, thought I've heard the same of the MT07 mirrors. Also after a while I do tend to get a sore bum from the seat, it's nice enough but could use a bit more cushion in my opinion.

Another thing I forgot to mention for future R/Mt03 buyers is that it has quite a lot of engine breaking. I've hardly used my front brakes whenever I have to come to a stop, the second you stop using the throttle your speed will go down quite rapidly.