Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Yamaha Making New Triple(s)

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Wayned, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Scant details so far, but Yamaha has shown a new three cylinder engine at the Intermot Show. Show reports on some new models are showing up on plenty of bike sites, and an apparent push with a new engine (not their first triple, but the first in a long time) seems to be one of the bigger topics of the show so far.

Sounds like good news - motorcyclenews.com/News/yamaha-three-cylinder-engine
    • Like Like x 1
  2. That could just be a product of laziness in them not wanting to cut a triple engine properly.
  3. Why not a TDM1350? This isn't helping my "don't need to upgrade the moment you get your full license" policy...
  4. yeah sweet! i never really understood small capacity inline fours... its a lot of packaging and weight that's not really needed....

triples can be the sweet spot between torque curve and max power.... and oh gawd do some of them sound real horn...
  5. :popcorn:

Place holder for the discussion - very interested indeed
  6. Imagine the sound of a crossplane triple.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. I'm still trying to figure out what "crossplane triple" means, then I can try to imagine the sound it would make.

No one else reporting on it seems to have much idea either, since anything other than an even 120 degree spacing doesn't make much sense. If they've come up with anything else that works well, it could be something a bit radical.
  8. It means 90 degrees between the pistons. It's used on the R1 (with a balancer to even out vibration, and on the TDM850 parallel twin. So I'd imagine the sound of a crossplane triple would be somewhere between the two.

Edit: Or to make it easier to visualise, the crank for a crossplane would look something like this:
  9. I know how it works in the TDM and R1, but three pots 90 degrees apart in an inline bank of cylinders makes for one lopsided crank, as well not having the primary balance of 3 x 120 degrees. That's worse off on two major counts.

Unless they've done something clever that works as least as well without being more expensive, there doesn't seem much point.
  10. After seeing your edit: Now take one of the two middle ones out and you've got a whole different situation.
  11. Sometimes a little imbalance in an engine is a good thing. Gives it character.

Making a perfectly vibration free 750 triple would be pointless when they already have a 4-cylinder 800. But making a 750 triple with a very distinctive engine note would give them something to take on the Street Triple.
  12. a new 750 would be good imo.
  13. That sort of character usually doesn't like staying inside an engine block
  14. I wish they would bring out a V Twin !. Doesnt need to be ultra powerful, just follow a SV1000 / VTR1000 as an example.
  15. Yet it's the only thing keeping HD in business.

Closest thing I could find is the Honda MVX250F - which was a 90 degree three cylinder, but a 2-stroke V3 (prone to failure of the rear conrod due to the weight imbalance). There was also the 180 degree Laverda triples. Not quite the same but still inherently unbalanced - and yet still much loved (they sound awesome).

There was a time when the Japanese manufacturers, particularly Yamaha, would do something different just for the sake of trying something different. I really, really hope this might be an example of them trying that again.
  16. i think they should build a 'T3'...

now wouldnt that be something
  17. Another announcement from the Intermot show is Suzuki doing a new V-Strom 1000 with a "revised motor". If they've done more work on what has long been a great V-twin, it could well be that a new SV1000 is also on the cards. We can only hope.

One layout that comes to mind for the now motor is a two down, one up (middle piston) layout, somewhat like the Laverda, but with the middle piston offset 90 degrees to make a virtual V3, which would be a fair bit along the lines of the TDM/TRX twin and the crossplane four. But the weighting of the crank and pistons poses challenges in a different way to the 2 and four pot engines. But if they've managed that they'll have a unique sound and feel in the current marketplace. That might forego some outright max power/rpm, but pick up even more shove through the range, and possibly better traction from uneven firing intervals. Extra cc over Triumph's 675 (if a 750) could make it a bit or a torque monster for it's size, with the added bonus of more relaxed running on the open road.

But what little of the bike they've shown with the engine shows sporting pretensions along the lines of a mid capacity naked (which they could stick some plastic on to make a worthwhile variant). If they do that with 750 cc it would make a great bike. I'd be just as happy if they do an even spacing like Triumph and Benelli, since they're not exactly dull engines and have superb road bike credentials.

I rode a Honda MVX V3, and while it was kind of panned for not having the outright peak power of the competing twin smokers (it might have been somewhat heavier too - but it was a nice roadie), it was a very sweet, smooth motor with strong midrange surge for a 250 cc stroker. A modern direct injection version with more cubes would be sublime, but I suspect even DI wouldn't manage the further tightening emissions we're at now.

Anyway, plenty of anorakish pondering on offer for the time being. Kevin Ash is putting up an interview with Senior Yamaha staff (mentioned in a roundup of the show - ashonbikes.com/cologne-2012-round - so we might have some more hints soon. In the meantine there's the new 1000 'Strom, KTM 1190 Adventure and a beaut-looking Yamaha cruiser to ogle, among a few other bits.
  18. That's exactly the configuration used in the Laverda triples I mentioned. So it does certainly work, and definitely produces a distinctive sound.

A Yammy equivalent of this in a distinctive naked or semi-faired bike would be very, very interesting (be almost like a resurrection of the brilliant TRX850).
    • Like Like x 1
  19. They might be 90 degrees apart with two pistons rising & falling together... Of course it'll have a balance shaft to correct the other single piston.

Also the TRX, (although early TDM's were 180), yamaha have a bit of history for doing it "out of the box"

Edit: I refreshed & most of this was covered, oops.

Glad someone was was thinking that too, not just me :)