Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Yamaha Customer Service Problem

Discussion in 'Businesses and Service Providers' started by jdm, Aug 22, 2006.

1. I have a 2004 YZF-R1 that I purchased new in late 2004. I became aware of a problem with the Thottle Position Sensor (TPS) via an R1 specific forum (www.r1-forum.com) that was attributed to a high number of engine cut outs on 04 and some 05 R1's. Yamaha Motor USA has recently (27 July 2006) issued a Technical Bulletin that instructs dealer to replace all sold and stock TPS units in the affected ranges regardless of whether the symtoms have been seen or not (all 2004 and early 2005 R1's). I contacted Yamaha Motor Australia Customer Relations via email asking if they had a programme to do the same and I got this "courteous" reply:

"We thank you for the information however we have already taken the appropriate action for our market."

Clearly this surprised me as I have not received any advice of any action (being an 04 R1 owner!). I pointed this out and requested details of the "action" but have received no reply. The TPS units fitted to USA R1's and Australian R1 are the same - any argument along the lines of "not a problem here mate" are nul and void. Yamaha Motor USA obviously believe it is significant enough of an issue to order all units replaced (just short of a "recall") - I find it amazing that Australia does not, especially as there have been reported incidents in Australia!

I have attached the links to the threads on the R1 Forums.

http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=98831 (The thread that first highlighted the issue to me)

http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=172634 (The announcement of the Tech Bulletin)

http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=166294&highlight=cut+out (This is about Australian R1's)

I love my R1 and am keen to see the 07 model with a view to purchasing one - but frankly if this is how Yamaha Australia react to such an important issue then maybe a Honda is safer.

2. You'd have thought if the problem was bad enough in the US that they replace them, then they would do the same here.
    I wouldnt be buying another if they didnt.
  3. What does the dealer you bought the bike from say?
  4. There must be a way of taking this further. :?
  5. The reason for my question is: however it is handled it will be through the local Yamaha dealer (or the one that sold the bike).

Yamaha Australia will not post you out the part, or come and visit you to fit it.

You go see the dealer. I'm surprised the e-mailed reply didn't contain instructions to do this.
  6. The FZ6 is in the same Tech Bulletin as the R1.

7. Man the moderators here are pedantic.....Are you all librarians? (I can say that - my mother was a librarian and I remember spending my school holidays being chastised as I hadn't correctly filed all the books....)

8. BINGO! After Two Wheels contacted them (perhaps the timing WAS coincidental):

Dear Jason,

The necessary information has been sent to all Yamaha dealers.
    Unlike the US market we requested the dealers to contact customers to have
    the rework actioned.
    We apologise on behalf of Actions Motorcycles if this has not occurred.
    Please contact Action to have the work completed.

Yamaha Motor Australia
    Service Department