Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Yamaha Bolt - C Spec vs R Spec

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by edgelett, Mar 21, 2016.

1. So the other half is looking at selling his MV Agusta Brutale (yes yes I know, it's a tragedy).
    He seriously loves that bike but is also seriously sick of the maintenance costs.
    he looks over at my 18 yr old Honda Hornet which needs nothing other than brakes and tyres and is longing for a bike that's a tad more reliable.

We checked out what Honda offer - and there's really nothing in their nakeds that is making him excited.
    So we started looking at other brands. He was considering an Indian Scout but we came across the Bolt on the Yamaha website and he's looking at organising a test ride.

has anyone here got a Bolt?
    the big question is will he be able to go around corners ok?
    he knows there's no way it will corner like the Brutale, but he doesn't want to have to slow down to grandma speed either.

I looked at the 3 versions, and I think the C Spec is going to be more along the lines of what he wants - footpegs back further with better cornering angles, clip on bars for more aggressive riding position.

If anyone has one, or has ridden one, give me your views. I'm particularly interested in the differences between the C and R spec, and reliability issues.

• Like Like x 1
  2. The Bolt is a nice cruiser but it's still a cruiser and it's not going to go around corners like a naked bike.

If your SO wants a cruiser then the Bolt will do the job well but if he's looking for a sportish naked hiding in cruisers clothing he needs to look elsewhere IMO.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. I own a Bolt and love it. Its an urban cruiser and thats what it does well.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Used Diavel????
  5. Learn how to maintain that beast and keep it, I give him 3 minutes on a bolt b4 he realizes what a mistake he has made
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Bolt is A Yamaha so no need to be concerned about reliability issues.

Some good replacement options are:

Ducati Diavel (as above)
    Ducati Monster 1200
    Yamaha FZ1N
    Yamaha MT 09

And on behalf of our resident Aprilia super spy chillibuttonchillibutton

A Tuono?

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. I have an rspec Bolt. If the OH is more comfortable with the seating position on the c-spec then I would suggest that it might suit him better especially coming from the Augusta. As well as the pegs being in a different position they are also higher up. Although I wouldn't call myself an aggressive rider by any means on a few occasions when I've been twisting the wrist a little more than normal I have scraped my pegs. Not a biggy but scared the sh!t out of me the first time I did it.

You can convert the standard or spec into a cafe racer if that is the look you are going for, not as easy to do it the other way around.

For a 247kgs dry weight bike they are surprisingly nimble and well balanced. The Bolt is actually better at the twisties than my 250 Virago was.

How tall is the OH...this could be more of an issue with the c-spec. You're probably not going to get many informed opinions on here, but I would suggest having a read of this. C spec or R spec
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Tony knows how to maintain a motorcycle. He can change the brake pads, etc.
    the problem is that in the last 12 months he got a hole in his radiator, his wiring loom melted, and now his wheel bearings on his front wheel disintegrated.
    None of these issues can be fixed via 'maintenance' and there is only one bike shop in Adelaide that will work on MV's.
    they have quoted us $1250 to fix EACH of these problems.
    Thankfully, we were able to get the radiator repaired at a welder, took the bike to an auto electrician to fix the wiring loom, and we are currently in the process of trying to get a new bearing & hopefully my brother (who is a mechanic) can fix the front wheel.
    Quite frankly, with everything that's gone wrong in the last 12 months he's concerned his bike is a lemon & is just going to fall apart on him soon.

in addition, given his job requires a licence & it's so easy to get caught speeding here in Adelaide, he's thinking slowing down might be a good idea.

appreciate your thoughts but there's a good reason he's looking at selling the bike he says is 'the best bike i've ever ridden in my life' for something slower & more reliable.
  9. he's 5' 7"
    is being short an issue?
  10. cheers for the suggestions unfortunately he's kind of over the cost of maintaining an Itallian bike and is after something that has a good history of reliability.
    i've suggested the FZ1N, as well as a Kwaka Z1000 and Honda CB1000RR.
    hopefully he rides a few before he decides.
  11. That's not short. That is average height. :)

If he's concerned about speeding on the MV, he'll have almost as much of a problem on any one of those Jap litre bikes. They may be more upright than the MV but they are all easily capable of travelling at warp speed and they get you there bloody quick.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. I'm 5' and a bees dick so being short isn't a problem & I would think 5'7 would be ideal. I put 2" risers on my handlebars so I was leaning forward as much.

Those who are taller than that tend to extend the foot controls on the standard or r-specs. They can be 2.5" 4.5" or some go as far as 9" - something you wouldn't want to do with the c-spec. I was more concerned with him feeling cramped with the c-spec position. Coming from a non cruiser it's probably not as much an issue as some who would be used to stretching out with forward controls or floorboards.

A test ride is really the only way to know, hopefully he can organise one.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. The Bolt certainly can pick up speed quickly if needed. I think the benefit with most cruisers is you actually get to have a bit of a look around and feel a little more chilled about riding. Different strokes for different folks. Plus I've followed many sport riders on long rides and had a chuckle to myself when they start stretching out their legs and standing on the pegs.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Cheers - once we get his front wheel sorted we're going to organise a test ride.
  15. I think he's a smart man; sporty bikes will almost all be 'worse' so buy something completely different to avoid such extreme dissapointment. Maybe a motard like a ktm 690 is worth looking at too. Still quick but fun in a different way.

Ah Adelaide; operation summer game ends soon. Perfect new bike time now really.
    • Like Like x 1