Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

XVS650A Air Intake and Carby Questions!!

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by austy, Aug 22, 2009.

1. The rear end of my bike is dorned with a set of free flowing Vance and Hines Short Shots. Now for the intake - what to do????

RAK - Ram Air Kit

This involves derestricting the stock canister by cutting a slot on the outside of it, and also two holes on the inside wall. Keeps the bike looking original, and has the advantage of easy access to the filter for cleaning etc. This is where I'm leaning but am a tad concerned that it's comparable to simply drilling out the exhaust. Is this both cheap and nasty?

Stealth BAK - Stealth Big Air Kit by Baron $180USD plus Shipping.

This involves installing air filters directly above the carbies. Problem with this is that they are exposed to the weather and requires tank removal to clean. This appears to have the best performance gain - but isn't suitable for long exposure to rain. I ride my bike every day so it needs to be able to handle all weather conditions.

http://650ccnd.com/gak.htm (not the exact abovementioned product, but you get the drift)

Hypercharger by Kuryakyn $260USD plus Shipping.

I look at these and think to myself, "shit hot". But I've heard a few people on forums suggest they wouldn't waste their money. To buy these locally, they're about $589 plus $25 shipping (Zpower). Also a tad concerned about how one would fare in the rain?

K&N Air Filter $140AUD

A couple of people have suggested simply replacing the air filter with a more open type. Looking at the canister though, the housing seems highly restrictive, sucking all of it's air through a hole the size of a 10c piece. I could try this and see how I go, but I don't want to fit a $140 filter if it's going to be replaced with a hypercharger, etc.

With the above decision still to be made (awaiting your expert advice :woot:), onto the carbys...

The bike is a 2009 V Star 650 Classic (XVS650A). The only relative mod on the bike is a set of Vance & Hines Short Shots. To be honest, getting into the carby and changing the needles and jets doesn't phase me too much, on the basis that I have the right parts and tools for the job. The last thing I want to do is open it up, and realise my needles are the wrong size/make etc. I believe the carbies are Mikuni, so where do I start with regards to jet/needle size and make?

Please help! :hmm: