Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

xvs650 vs vt750c & fz6n vs gsr600

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by dexxl, Jan 23, 2007.

1. hi, i'm considering getting one of those 4 bikes as mentioned in the title.
    i'm not very technical with bikes and admittly am a very new rider. could someone please give me some USEFUL insight to the models with advantages and disadvantages.

In essence, if you were a new rider. which one would u get? and please stay with the topic... (no, i'm not going to get a 250cc because i'm new..)

yes, i know one is a cruiser and the other is a road bike. i'd be happy with either style of bike. i want to know if i should be judging them by anything else other then reliability and price. i've read fantastic reviews on all 4 bikes

2. Hey I ride a 99 vt 750 and I love it.
    I think it is Australia's top selling mid sized cruiser.
    I am vertically challenged and the low height suits my statue.
    The riding position is very comfortable and does not put pressure on wrists or back and can ride comfortably all day.

These bikes are not speed machines, but can easily burn off cars at lights etc. You can tech. them up if you want to get extra HP etc, but I am comfortable with what it is and just enjoy it!

Plenty of torque and easy to handle and just a joy to cruise or commute.

PLENTY of aftermarket bling to be had to personalise your bike and plenty of bikes for sale (e bay has lots!).I reckon they are brilliant value for money. Motorcycle trader have a road test in the current issue.

Can't speak for the others, but I won't be trading mine for quids. Afterall it is a Honda!!

Have a look at the pics in the link in my sig.

3. Like you said, they are very different types of bikes.

It might help if you narrowed your choice down to either a cruiser or a naked sports, because otherwise it's like comparing apples and oranges.

What sort of riding will you be doing? Milage, highway, sports, commute? All of the 4 bikes are reliable. As a new rider, you could/will get into trouble on all 4, more easily so on the naked sports because they encourage you to explore their potential. They are quick bikes.

Go and sit on one cruiser and one naked from your list, perhaps then ask the panel your questions when you decide which way you want to go.
  4. just maybe....

i think first deicde what it is YOU want. cruiser or sports. there is a big difference!

i have ridden both styles over the years. i think before you start trying to figure what everybody else thinks, look at what you want first and then get the opinions of others, if you feel it needed. otherwise you are only going to mess your own head and find shoosing difficult.
    have you ridden any of them at all?
  5. actually, i've riden all 4. as i said, i'd be happy with any of them. i guess i should be more specific with my questions.

which will have a better resale value?
    which is easier to maintain?
    which is more comfortable commuting (about 7km) everyday in traffic in the long run?

6. - All of the mentioned bikes are priced on the cheaper side to begin with. Recent fz6's can be picked up for near $7k with low km's, a considerable price drop from new, so I doubt these will have especially good resale value. There aren't that many gsr's around (at least i haven't seen many), so that may work in your favour when it comes time to sell. Hondas usually hold their price well, but there's a ton of vt750's around, so it will probably be a buyers market in a few years when everyone is trying to sell them.

- All are simple to maintain, although the sports will tend to go through brake pads ata quicker rate, and the service intervals may be shorter due to their potential performance. The vt750 has shaft drive, so no chain/adjustments, sprockets necessary. Something to weigh up, but sprockets and chains are hardly expensive, and if treated well you'll get >20k km's out of them.

- Either of the naked ports you've mentioned would be superior in traffic IMO, mainly due to being more agile, and would probably be less effort to stay ahead of the traffic. Would also lane split much more easily.
  7. The only reason you should buy a cruiser is if you want to look cool. And believe me, it works on the chickies.

If you want a bike to RIDE, or have any pretention of wanting to go fast sometimes, go for the nakeds.

8. ^^^ What he said!!
  9. oOkay,.. i guess cruiser it is :p
    i don't really find the need to go fast. there'd always be someone faster next to me and the expotential multiplying risk of speed just isn't really that feasible to me..

cruisers have always been the bike i've wanted to ride anywayz, but since doing my qride on a bmw 650cc, i guess i was just getting fond of it. but like i said, i dun need to go fast,.. just fast enough

thanks for the good enough esp. cammo