Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Xvs650 rear signal light

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' at netrider.net.au started by buckethead00, Dec 20, 2015.

1. Hi guys,

I am a new rider and have a 2012 xvs650 custom. I am looking to change the rear signal lights to after market lights. I attempted to remove the lights from the rear fender stay and unbolted the small bolts on the chrome section of the light but that is as far as I got. How do I remove the black rubber base? Also how do I know what thread size of lights to buy? Thanks a lot for your help!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Hi Buckethead, welcome.
    The XVS Customs had threaded rear indicators.
    The black rubber base hides a hollow screw thread that is fastened behind the fender wall.
    You'll need a 14mm spanner I think.

What are you putting on ?
    You'll need a few large washers to fill the hole and keep it neat if your replacements are much smaller.

3.  Top
  4. These should be easy, they are a bulb light not LED so no worries about flasher cans or ballast resistors they should connect straight in.

5. thanks for your help guys! one more silly question does anyone know what's the thread size which would fit the side fender stays? i have tried looking in the service manual but cant seem to find it!

6. #6 cjvfr, Dec 20, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2015
    Being a Japanse bike it will be a metric thread, if you dismantle one of the bolts/nuts and take it along to a Bunnings, in the screw and bolt section they have a block with both male and female threads that you can check against.

7. Thanks mate that's great advice!

8. From memory it's a M12.
    Do you also get fork clamps with the set to fix the front ones or are you leaving them stock ?
    I did similar to my 1100.
    Do a search for LED indicators and you might find some pics.
    Also where are you based ?

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. I am based in Malvern in Melbourne stever and I was going to get fork clamps, another dilemma as I want to make sure the lights fit in the clamps as well!

10. If you have some time to come out to Bayswater I can show you all of the parts off yours that you'll need to replace.
    Let me know if you're interested and I'll send you a PM.