Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

XVS650 for first bike?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by TYSE LEE, Sep 20, 2015.

1. Hey all!

First post here - looking at a new 2015 XVS650 Custom for my first bike as Yamaha are selling them off for $9,990 drive away.

Does anyone agree that this is something I should jump on & would any extras (helmet/new indicators) be out of the question?

Thanks!

2. And the 5 years warranty too, seems pretty good deal. Hard to toss up between that and the Vulcan S

3. Welcome, Tyse.

If you really want a 650 cruiser, you could do a lot worse.

Never ridden one, but apparently they have a shortish clutch action. Other than that, very good bike from all accounts.

There's a few V-Star owners here, I'm sure they'll be happy to share first hand experience with you.

4. Hello Tyse,
    I rode an XVS650 for my first bike and absolutely loved it. I remember looking at it in the store and wondering if it was too big for a learner. Yamaha have designed the tank and overall style to give the bike great presence on the road, so it can look a bit bigger than it really is. However I'm glad I bought it. It never let me down on long rides, never had to push the engine too hard, cruised really nicely. Great pick for first bike.
    Only other little tip. Not sure if they have fixed the clutch on current model, but on earlier models you had to let the clutch out a little before it engaged ... i.e. there was a bit of free movement in the clutch. This is ok and you will get used to it, but if you are planning on riding the bike for your P's test (not sure from you note if you have a licence yet) then you need to practice a lot (heaps, etc) with the clutch and slow riding.

5. m on same boat, which one you going for ?

considering 'vulcan s ' ?

6.  Top
  7. I got back on the yamie 650 after not riding for 30 years. After 2 months I found I wanted more power and agility but kept at it for 2 years......if I had my time again I would get on a vstrom 650.