Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

XVS650 cutting out

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by ashrose, Oct 23, 2014.

1. hi again guys, its been a while but im back.
    ok i'll try and make it brief.
    the bike is a xvs650 and every now and then (maybe a dozen times in the last 4 months) when i shift from 1st to 2nd she cuts out, sometimes i can roll start her or i just use the starter.
    it only happens once and then shes fine.
    she doesn't surge or jolt or anything just cuts out.
    ive been told it could be because she's cold or air/fuel mixture.
    i don't think its air/fuel coz it doesn't happen all the time but on the same note shes not always cold.
    has anyone got any ideas ????

2. If it cuts out dead it's probably an electrical fault not a fuelling problem. You usually get a bit of warning if it's a fuel problem as the bike loses power gradually whereas an electrical problem is more likely to cause it to die instantly. It could be a lose or corroded connection at one of the cut off switches, possibly the neutral switch. Try bypassing them one at a time and see if it starts up. To bypass them just use a bit of wire to bridge the back of the connector going to the switch.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Side stand switch can cut the bike out. Not sure why it would only do it when changing from first to second. First to second is the longest throw of the lever, so perhaps the proximity of the switch to your foot or gear lever, and it gets bumped when you change.

• Agree Agree x 1