Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

XVS250 any advice?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Hotchips, Aug 29, 2014.

1. I found a nice xvs250 up the Sunny Coast and go up Sat. to have a look and almost certainly buy her.:woot: Will test ride first just to check the bike - and to see if I actually do like cruiser rides (only rode a GS500 to get license for 1 day!)
    That's a hell of a first ride! Sunny Coast - all the way to Ipswich area! Down the dreaded Bruce and then Gateway and Logan Motorways - then a bit of suburban roads for 10mins to finish. Geez - talk about jumping in the deep end first! And wife is busy, so need to organise a lift up there so I'll be coming back essentially on my own.:nailbiting:

I'll post pics as soon as I get her home and give her a nice clean and check over.

Anyone with XVS250 V-Star experience know what I should be looking for on a good looking 2nd hander? 30k on the clock. Seller is 2nd owner and has been riding it locally and says she is brilliant and I will see for myself. What should I specifically check for?

So excited, can hardly type.......:woot::woot::woot:

2. Good luck with the purchase. The first thing you will probably notice is the difference in performance between the GS500 and the XVS250. Can I ask why you are not looking at a 650, is it price ?
  3. Yes. Price. Even this is a stretch of the budget. I figure this will get me riding, get me some hours in the saddle (daily commute) while I save like a mad man for a 650 (I did initially want one or something similar - but no chance at this time for the $$$ required)
  4. Fair enough and wise to buy within your budget. Will be interested to hear what you thought of it after your ride. Good luck with it.
  5. Take it for a long ride before u buy it mate. I tried talking my mate out of buying one of those due to the poor power output, he knew I am a lead foot and went ahead. I didnt take him long to get sick of the constant gear changes and lack of power before he flicked it. If u like that sort of little cruiser even though they are pretty rare the kawasaki el250 has 57% more power and is a great little ride.
  6. Had one a while ago, perfect commuter, not great on highways and twisties, I was wearing the foot-pegs faster than the tyres. Didn't have any mechanical problems with mine until a car hit it. Neutral can be a biatch to find, could never find 6th gear, although I tried endlessly (It only has 5 gears). Pretty torquey down low, nothing in the high revs.
  7. Thanks for the advice. Will take it for a test drive and see. Will be daily commute max of 80kph so should be ok till I can afford the bike I actually want. Beggars can't be choosers, but seeing as this is my first ever bike, hopefully will be fine for work and back for a year.
  8. Ride was pretty full on for a first real go on a bike apart from training and assessment. 2hrs on Bruce HWY and Motorways.
    Lower back is a bit sore but that was going from 0 to 2hrs straight for a mid 40's out of shape IT guy who has almost no exercise regime.
    The seat seemed to me to be 6-8 inches too forward. It looks big standing next to it, but a pic of me on it seems to make it look tiny.
    I tried 2 other bikes for the $3k I had - Hyosung GT650R - which was already sold - and they got the 3,450 they wanted and financed it to the poor sod so I wouldn't have got that anyway (I only had $3k - not a dollar more) and a GS500 which looked grouse, but again, $350 too much and he would not go to $3k (don't blame him) so for my budget and it's purpose (get used to riding, and commute 30mins to work in 60 and 80 zones) it is GREAT for a year or three. Next bike will be much more what I want, not ONLY what I can afford.

I can see why you tried talking your mate out of it. Max speed flat road is around 120k's. The thing is, for me, being absolute noob to bikes - and my strict budget - this is fine. I found the gears were actually nicely spaced and there is torque enough to not have to be shifting all the time. But I do find the gear selector to be really soft gearing up - cannot feel the click at all. And neutral is really hard to find.
    I looked around for an el250 - they are indeed rare!
    I am really stoked with my bike. Single seat plated as well for cheap rego, saddlebags and the extra seat did come with it, and it is just fun as to ride.
  9. So - back to advice...

I find my bike jumps around a little at low speed if the throttle is applied or taken off no matter how feather the touch is.
    Is this normal for a bike with 30,000 klm's on it? (some of it is probably me - but it is really touchy and jumpy - cornering or roundabouts need care). Take offs are ok with the clutch release, just if I am at low speed (1st or 2nd gear) and throttle is applied/released.

And ANY advice for maintenance or care would be grand.(y)

10. They are in fact an awesome bike :]
  11. Couple of things, check the throttle cable adjustment and try loosening your grip on the bars a bit. Most new riders tend to grip a bit tight to start out and every little bump translates through your hand to the throttle.
    If its anything more than that you will need to put up a post re the ongoing problem and wait for someone who is familiar with your bike to chip in.
    Exercise your core muscles while you are at your desk, can help pass the time till your next ride :)
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Congrats on the bike purchase @Hotchips@Hotchips! The XVS250 is a great little bike and should see you right for a while, so long as you're not a huge bloke and don't get too fed up with the lack of power. If you're spending a lot of time on the freeway, I highly recommend earplugs cos that little motor will be working hard to keep you at 100 and leave your ears ringing :)

Regarding jumpiness in low gears, a couple of things occur. One is that you may be selecting the wrong gear for certain situations. First is really for taking off and that's about it, second for gaining speed and most slow-speed work (first for VERY slow-speed work). In both cases you can use the clutch a bit to smooth out the jumps once you get used to where they'll occur if you find that even tiny throttle movements translate directly to the wheels. Motorbike clutches are designed to be a lot more forgiving than car clutches, so don't be afraid to use it. Don't go crazy, but definitely make use of it where needed.

As far as general maintenance goes, the usual stuff applies. Keep it clean, check all your lights, oil, check your chain tension and lubrication, tyre pressure and condition etc. Beyond that depends on your mechanical ability and confidence.

Here's a service manual for a bit of light bathroom reading if you're interested (it's an old one but they haven't changed much) https://www.dropbox.com/s/g7cnt1o1y8hol1j/xvs250.pdf?dl=0
  13. Great stuff - thanks for that and thanks for the pdf. I have the original service manual, 2 x keys, and the original back seat and saddle bags. I will be getting a Haines Service manual when I find one.(y)

The gear selection I am pretty much ok with. Even in the higher gears at speed, a release or application on the throttle, even with a feather touch, jumps the bike a bit. Not constant, just the "grip" of the throttle or it's initial release. I'll get a little more time on the bike and update. Thanks for the advice!

I have earplugs - never ending supply thanks to work.(y)

I am not a huge bloke - but at 185cm the bike does look and feel a bit small - but this is fine. New rider - so it will look after me. My commutes are 50% 60kph, 50% 80kph. No probs with lack of power and too bad if there is. This is my bike for at least 12 months.

This forum and community is tops! Heaps of good advice and brothers in arms. Thanks all. (y)
  14. Sorry, I'm a dill. I just realised I gave you the link to the owner's manual, not the service manual. I'll try again... http://www.pdthomas.com/vtf/manuals/Virago XV250G-GC SM - 1994.pdf

Like I said earlier, it's ancient (1994) but the basic bike really hasn't changed all that much in 20 years. Have fun :)
    • Like Like x 1
  15. That's great. Thanks mate. (y)