Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

XVS mono shock adjustment.

Discussion in 'Cruisers' at netrider.net.au started by Randall, Feb 24, 2013.

1. I cant find any threads that discusses adjustment of the mono shock for the XVS. I purchased this bike with the shock set to 3 on the 7 possible settings. 1 being soft and 7 being hard.
    I am the sole rider, no pillion passengers, and have set mine to 7.......nice and firm travel. I noticed a difference in the cornering straight away. When it was set to 3, harder exceleration out of a corner was "squishy" for the want of a better term. Now that Ive loaded up the spring to 7, what a difference!!!! It feels like I have far better tactile feedback to the road and I feel the back end is more stable on my cruiser now that unnecessary travel has been eliminated. I cant notice any extra firmness on the flat......the ride isnt any less smooth.
    My question is, are there any downsides of having this adjustment set hard?
    Any assistance gratefully received.

Randall.

2. The adjustment on the XVS does not change the ride feel. It only adjusts the preload on the spring. If too high the shock will top out ( hit the top limit) as the bike jumps after a bump. If set too low the shock will bottom out (hit the lower limit). Either could decrease the life of the shock and be uncomfortable for the rider on rough roads. There is a good article on the web at "http://www.moto-racing.co.uk/Guides/motorcycleSuspensionSetup.htm"

• Like Like x 1