Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

XVS 650 concerns

Discussion in 'Cruisers' at netrider.net.au started by TheFinalBike, Nov 28, 2013.

1. I have recently gone from a 2001 CB250 to a 2013 XVS 650a classic (new from dealer) mainly because it felt more comfortable. I have been a bit disappointed in this bike considering that it is the top selling cruiser. It seems to run rough/vibrates once it goes above 90kph (the CB250 was smooth at this speed). Also, it seemed fuel hungry at 18km/l running on 91 octane.

Am I being over critical? I did not have a test ride so I have nothing to compare it to that is similar. I have been told the V twins vibrate more than conventional twins like the CB250. Is there any truth to this?

The bike is due for its first service in another 700km (1000km service) which will take about 3 weeks. Should I point out my concerns to the dealer, or will the bike get better with time?

Does anybody live close to the mornington peninsula? Maybe we could test each others bike out to get a comparison.
    Steve

• Like Like x 1
  2. Ask the dealer about you're concerns, it's a new bike so they should try to keep you happy. But the V-twins do shake a bit. Mine (a Harley) shakes a lot, to the point the front wheel moves at traffic lights.

Not sure about the fuel consumption, but doesn't sound too bad. It is a fair bit heavier than you old bike.

3. It's a LOT bigger and heavier than your old bike. 2 1/2 times the engine displacement, for starters. That much weight flinging around down below, and the wider handlebars, can have an effect on vibration. You can minimize that by keeping it well tuned. You may also find that better quality petrol makes a difference.
    The CB250 is an incredible fuel miser, it's the cheapest-running motorbike I've ever ridden. Don't try to find another motorbike to compare to that, you'll probably fail.
    Your 5.5 l/km isn't unusual for a mid-size motorbike with some weight to it.

4. The XVS650 is a top seller, not because it is a refined motorcycle, but because it is a cheap learner legal full size cruiser. Yes they do vibrate a little, which only gets worse the more miles on it. They may not have the best economy, because they are air cooled & carburetted, not liquid cooled & fuel injected. Plus you only have 300km on the bike, so economy might improve a little as the engine loosens up over time. Yamaha does recommend 95 octane or higher for most of their bikes, and some people find their engines run smoother on better quality fuels. Do not use E10 fuel, ever, in this bike.

Overall, this sounds quite normal for that bike.

5. Oh! I didn't notice it's only 300km old. Yes it will vibrate a lot more than usual until it is run in. You will typically notice the engine get gradually smoother, and use a bit less fuel, somewhere around the 800-1000km mark.
    The gearbox and suspension may take a little longer to smooth out, the brakes usually sooner, depending on how often you use them.
    Don't thrash it, but don't be afraid to work it a little, and also don't keep it at one RPM for hours on end (e.g. 1000km trips on the freeway at precisely the same speed all the way).

6. I have an older version (2002) which was my first road bike in many years. It always felt fairly good to ride although it was a bit vibratory at times .After a couple of thousand Ks I no longer noticed it. HOWEVER I recently switched to a Suzuki Bandit,with its fuel injection and 4cyclinder power plant I don't know how I rode the vstar for so long. Unfortunately you have gone from a smooth economical roadie to a cruiser and going that way you will notice the difference more than I did. You will get used to it and enjoy riding a hole lot more than a 250.

7. Sell it and get a gv650

8. #8 MONKEYMAN, Nov 29, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
    It is supposed to do that.
    Entry level metric imitation Harley.
    Just wait to you upgrade to the real thing. Then you will really be disappointed, plus broke for many unenjoyable years to come.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Moral to the story is before u buy a new bike find a dealer and test ride it for 2-3 hours and make sure it's the bike u are looking for

10. I have the same bike and it vibrates above about 90-100KPH. I have been reading a few forums and that is normal. Some have gone as far as rubber mounting their floor boards. I don't find it that bad. I ride on open country roads mostly and I get an average economy of 18-19K's/Ltr. so yours sounds pretty standard to me, still better than most cars. My son has the same bike with the same conditions. We do use 95ULP because Yamaha recommend no ETHANOL fuels in carburettor engines. Most 91ULP have it where as 95 usually doesn't. Hard to tell these days and I don't ride for the economy. Anyway probably doesn't matter, certainly doesn't change the way the bike runs. A V twin does tend to vibrate due to the uneven firing cycle but it grows on you. They are a cheap cruiser but still quite reliable and low maintenance. Not designed for the race track but fun anyway and comfortable.

11. I wasn't aware 91 fuels had ethanol. I was under the impression that all ethanol fuels had to be signed as such, and that E10 was the only ethanol additive fuel. Am I completely wrong or is it just a QLD thing or something

12. Don't know what the regs are and don't really care. Most services stations I come in contact with usually have E10 but not clearly marked. Caltex/Woolies only has E10 from what I have seen on their site. Shell and BP still list 91 without Ethanol but I haven't seen any. They are generally labelled. QLD are like the Yanks- "Have to do their own thing" so I haven't a clue what happens once you head north across the border. ( I doubt that QLND's do either)

13. oh, E85 at Caltex as well. Knew I was forgetting something.

You're right. ALL regular unleaded has a mandated 6% ethanol in NSW, E10 is just more ethanol. Kind of surprising, given a lot of cars on the road won't like ethanol at all.

14. One look at the Harley riders at the lights shaking like jelly on a plate in an earthquake tells me there might be truth in it :D

15. Just bought an 08 xvs650 custom mine is exactly the same as what is listed above. Great to ride modern can be boring....

16. I think it depends on the state. Never ever saw any E10 fuel back home in WA, it's fairly rare in Vic (only seen it at United, usually they have 95 octane E10 and 91 octane regular unleaded), but seems to be everywhere in NSW.

17. Check the Shell, Caltex, and BP web sites. You will find only 91 with Etanol. 95 and 98 do not indicate any Ethanol and Caltex doesn't even indicate an Ethanol free 91. That is Australia wide. Even in NSW it is not clearly labeled.

18. Caltex: lists both "unleaded petrol" and "Bio E10 unleaded" http://www.caltex.com.au/PRODUCTSANDSERVICES/Pages/LubricantProducts.aspx?Category=Fuels - Transport
    If you do a map search thing, in NSW they'll show as selling E10 Unleaded and in Vic they'll show as selling Regular Unleaded.

I did the same map search on the Shell website, the servos near Melbourne show up as selling "Unleaded 91" and the ones near Sydney have "Unleaded E10". The Shell website for their E10 product talks a lot about NSW and doesn't mention any other states.

United's E10 fuel, which is the only E10 I've ever seen in Victoria, is 95 octane: http://www.unitedpetroleum.com.au/united/fuel/unleaded-e10

19. I think E10 got more expensive to produce in Victoria and they stopped having it (except for United). The Ethanol was costing more here for some reason.

20. I stand corrected. I did how ever find the map information at Caltex lacking as there are 2 stations in my area which do not show on their maps with either ULP or E10. One is a Woolies with only E10. The other one I am not sure what it has as I don't frequent it very often. Not particularly worried it is only that Yamaha don't recommend E10 in their carburettor type engines. I doubt that it makes much difference and now I am nolonger convinced that 95 is Ethanol free. I know the extra octane rating doesn't do anything for me. Mines not a sports model.