Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

XV400 intermittently loses power at speeds over 80km/hr

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by andre_, Apr 25, 2006.

1. Hello,

I have this odd behaviour occuring with my Yamaha XV400. It intermittently loses power at speeds over 80km/hr. Typically, it struggles a little sometimes when I reach 80-ish and then picks up again. I can then cruise about at 100-110 happily, but will then lose power again back down to 80km/hr and even at full throttle won't be able to accellerate any higher.

What kind of issues could cause these symptons? Possibly a pinched fuel line, clogged fuel filter, or something similar? Any pointers would be great! Thanks in advance.

Cheers; -Andre.
  2. Uphill, flat or downhill?

Accelerating or constant throttle?

Could be a number of things.

Crack your fuel tap so that plenty of air gets in. See if it still happens.

Make sure your intake is clear and air filter is clean.

Put some new plus in it.

It could be the carbie slides sticking. Afte the things above, I'd have them off and be giving them a good clean and inspection.

Could be a hole in one of the diaphrams
  3. Up, down or no hill... It will lose power at constant throttle.

The bike was sitting round doing nothing for a while (not riden) which I am guessing contributed to the problem.
  4. Then I'd be guessing the carbies need cleaning and it needs fresh fuel. Also make sure all your vacuum hoses are in good order and not leaking.
  5. This Happened to me
    it was the Diaphram (holes)
    the carby had crap in it also
  6. Any luck with this Andre?